none
OWA login with e-mail address

Question

• Hi,

I see in this document:
    How to Configure Forms-Based Authentication for Outlook Web Access that when configuring a CAS server with forms-based authentication, and selecting "User Principal Name" as the sign-in format, that, "Users can access Outlook Web App by entering their primary e-mail address or by entering their UPN."

However, I'm finding that users can only log in using their UPN value. When I change a user with UPN value 12345@company.com to have a primary e-mail address of joe@subsidiary.com he's still only able to log into OWA as 12345@company.com .

Is this a bug in the documentation, or in my implementation, or am I not understanding what is meant by the sentence in the linked doc?

Thanks,
    - Jim
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have tested on my lab, the issue is the same as you encountered. The primary email address should be the same value as the userPrincipalName. And from the article state:
    If you specify the PrincipalName attribute, the User name field on the Outlook Web Access logon page requires a UPN address. This logon method works only for users whose UPN name is the same as their e-mail address.

It seems that the description on the previous article which you provided is not correct. I will confirm with Product Group and inform you if any update is avaiable.

Thanks

Allen
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Monday, March 08, 2010 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:39 AM

All replies

• Did you change the UPN on the user account?
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:35 AM
  • No, changing the UPN of the user account isn't really an option because their email address is different than their UPN. And I can't create UPN suffixes.

I'm really hoping the documentation was correct, as written.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

I have tested on my lab, the issue is the same as you encountered. The primary email address should be the same value as the userPrincipalName. And from the article state:
    If you specify the PrincipalName attribute, the User name field on the Outlook Web Access logon page requires a UPN address. This logon method works only for users whose UPN name is the same as their e-mail address.

It seems that the description on the previous article which you provided is not correct. I will confirm with Product Group and inform you if any update is avaiable.

Thanks

Allen
    • Marked as answer by Allen Song Monday, March 08, 2010 1:46 AM
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:39 AM
  • Does Microsoft plan to change this? Seems a little silly. Good chances you can end up having different email address from your UserPrincipalName.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 3:36 AM