When user send mail , Getting NDR 5.1.2 .invalid Email address.

Question

• When we send mail Getting NDR 5.1.2 .invalid Email address. But email id is correct , others are able to send. Please let me know any thing need to check in the outlook.
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Saravana Kumar,

Thanks for your reply, I am very glad to have a further discussion with you.

The SMTP 5.1.2 error code is received when one of the servers on the way to the destination is unable to resolve the domain name of a recipients email address. Said differently: one of the servers on the way to the destination, including your server or your ISP, has a DNS problem or, possibly correctly, does not like one of the email addresses in the message’s TO, CC and BCC fields.

The first you should check all the recipient email addresses for incorrect domain names (misspelt domain names, or maybe, totally non-existent domain names) – remember, error code 5.1.2 is very specifically an error with the domain name of one of the recipient email addresses. If all the recipients email addresses check out as regards the domain part of the email addresses, then one of the servers on the way to the recipient(s) has a DNS problem – usually this will be one of the first 2 servers in the chain, your own mail server (or your network) or your ISP’s mail server.

In summary: most SMTP error 5.1.2 conditions are caused by misspellings of the domain name part of a recipient email address. However, with the proliferation of the spam, error 5.1.2 is also often encountered by automatic “out-of-office” replies to junk mail because the domain names used by junk mail are often bogus domain names.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Serena

• Marked as answer by Serena Li Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:44 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please verify again whether the e-mail address is correct and try to change the Outlook mode to the online mode if it does not.

Please paste the exact NDR if the issue persists.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Serena

Monday, October 25, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Dear Serena,

Email id is correct and user is accessing outlook in backbone. other user is able to send mail to that email id.

NDR below:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    touch base

Sent: 10/20/2010 8:27 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

David Thompson (user Email id)  on 10/20/2010 8:27 AM

The message could not be delivered because the recipient's destination email system is unknown or invalid. Please check the address and try again, or contact your system administrator to verify connectivity to the email system of the recipient.

<Server name #5.1.2>

Awaiting for your reply...

Regards,

saravana Kumar.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Hi Saravana Kumar,

Please help me collect information to isolate the problem,

1.    Is the user you cannot send e-mail to him in the same domain with you?

2.    If not, can you send e-mails to other users in that domain?

3.    Does the NDR generate by your Exchange server or the recipient’s server?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Serena

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:10 AM
  •  

Please find my answers:

1. Is the user you cannot send e-mail to him in the same domain with you?

User is not able to send mail to one external id - particularly one id)

2. If not, can you send e-mails to other users in that domain?

Only that particular user is not able to send mail, others in my domain able to send.

3. Does the NDR generate by your Exchange server or the recipient’s server?

NDR generates from the user exchange server (our domain exchange server)...

still i have not taken control of the user machine and checked.Please let me know if you need any more informations.

Thanks for asking more information on this issue....this helps me to troubleshoot and approach the issue (not only for this) 

Thanks and Regards,

Saravana Kumar.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:31 PM
  • Hi Saravana Kumar,

Thanks for your reply, I am very glad to have a further discussion with you.

The SMTP 5.1.2 error code is received when one of the servers on the way to the destination is unable to resolve the domain name of a recipients email address. Said differently: one of the servers on the way to the destination, including your server or your ISP, has a DNS problem or, possibly correctly, does not like one of the email addresses in the message’s TO, CC and BCC fields.

The first you should check all the recipient email addresses for incorrect domain names (misspelt domain names, or maybe, totally non-existent domain names) – remember, error code 5.1.2 is very specifically an error with the domain name of one of the recipient email addresses. If all the recipients email addresses check out as regards the domain part of the email addresses, then one of the servers on the way to the recipient(s) has a DNS problem – usually this will be one of the first 2 servers in the chain, your own mail server (or your network) or your ISP’s mail server.

In summary: most SMTP error 5.1.2 conditions are caused by misspellings of the domain name part of a recipient email address. However, with the proliferation of the spam, error 5.1.2 is also often encountered by automatic “out-of-office” replies to junk mail because the domain names used by junk mail are often bogus domain names.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Serena

• Marked as answer by Serena Li Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:44 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 7:16 AM
  •  

Hi Serena,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Regards,

Saravana Kumar.

Friday, October 29, 2010 3:05 PM
  • You wil have to clear the auto cache entry that is stored in your Outlook

Compose a new email > In the To field > Type the email address > If it automatically populates > You wil see a "X" icon right next to the email address > remove it and restart Outlook.

Compose a new email and this time you would have to manually type the email address > Send out the email and validate teh result.

If email goes through, then you might wana test again by selecting the email address from Global address book. This test will help you identify if there is a problem with Offline address book file > If email does nt go throw then download the address book via Send/Recieve > Sendandrecievegroups> Download adsdress book

Hope this helps:)

Friday, January 20, 2017 8:32 PM