none
Outlook 2011 and GAL cache

Question

• Hi all,

We are deploying MAC OSX with outlook 2011 connecting to Exchangee 2010. One of the issues we are running in to is, when the offline address book gets updates windows machine see the changes to the OAB but not the MAC. I don't know if i am using the correct terminalogy, but MAC's get the GAL info via LDAP and caches it locally somewhere and it does not seem to update it. Is there a way to update the Cached GAL? or in windows term Offline address book?

Thanks

J.

Thursday, March 03, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

In face I know little about Outlook for Mac 2011. So I searched some information about Outlook for Mac 2011. I hope it will help to you.

At first , Outlook for Mac 2011 can access Exchange OAB. So I think it should be a configuration issue.

http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/admin/item/a2a4d247-f9f3-4b35-b298-ceb147669dd7?category=dfc5c83b-92ea-4647-8c43-61a1fcd1fc2d

Exchange support in Outlook 2011 requires connectivity to Microsoft Exchange 2007 SP1 RU4 (KB952580)  or later.

To set up an Exchange account in Outlook, open Outlook. On the Tools menu, click Accounts . Click Exchange account , and then follow the directions on your screen. You will need the e-mail address and authentication information, such as the domain name, the user name, and the password.

For more information about adding an Exchange account for Outlook 2011:

http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/outlook/item/5608f120-313e-403b-a05b-3cdc4ef54154

If the issue still exist, you could go  office for Mac forum which would be the most relevant forum for your question.

http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/outlook/

如果您对我们的论坛在线支持服务有任何的意见或建议,请通过邮件告诉我们。
    Description: Description: TechNet 论坛好帮手立刻免费下载  TechNet 论坛好帮手

• Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:35 AM
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:21 AM
  • I don't see how this answers the question. The links take you to a table of features and setup instructions. Neither is relevant to the question.

The issue is, and we ran into it also, is that when the GAL changes, like a display name, Outlook 2011 continues to use the old value.

How do you force Outlook 2011 to update the offline address book or cached GAL, whichever you prefer to call it?

Brien

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Hello Brien / Mr. Mehta,
    I have done some playing on my configuration for you to see if I can get this to work or not. I currently have an Exchange 2010 /hosting infrastructure which appears to do what you are wanting to do.

My current DNS has the following (which allows Outlook 2007 and 2010 on Windows to download the Offline Address Book, and also allows Outlook 2011 for Mac to auto configure just from your email address and password, by getting the Autodiscover.xml from the server).

The setting is;

_autodiscover._tcp.domainname.com [SRV] 0 5 443 exchange.server.com

On a windows box, this helps with the Offline Address Book and also the Out of Office assistant to name a few features.

I logged onto the ECP with the admin credentials and changed the Display Name for an account under my organisation, just to test this out for you guys.

I made a change to a user and then went back into Outlook. I did a lookup on MRS. Muggins, and nothing came up. I closed Outlook 2011 and reopened.
    Then went to create a new message and typed MRS. Mu... and pressed Check Names to the right.

This then updated the address list for me.

I hope this helps.
    Regards
    CJ.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:25 PM
  • IMO no one has properly answered your question. OL2011 does keep an offline address book similar to OL2010. The location it's stored at is ~/Library/Caches/Outlook/(identity name)/#

You can delete both the folder and plist file under this directory, which will then cause the client to re-download a new OAB from the server (depending how large the OAB is, this may take some time.)

The OAB should update when a contact does get changed in the GAL, however i'm not sure how often it should do this (i think it's daily, but not sure).

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri}

• Proposed as answer by helenm99 Monday, October 15, 2012 10:54 PM
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Tumbleweed05's response helped restore the GAL for a couple of our clients. Some additional notes to make the process go a little faster.

After deleting the folders under the (identity name) being used. Quit the Outlook application.

Restart Outlook.

In our environment, it took about 5 minutes before the GAL download started. Once the download is complete. Quit and restart Outlook. The directory should be accessible through the Contact Search button.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Hi I am so happy to find this post but I don't see:

~/Library/Caches/Outlook/(identity name)/#

and which folder?

Please help.

Thanks,

Helen

Thank you, Helen www.bespoketech.ca

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Hi Helen,

1.    From the Finder select the Go menu
        2.    Hold down the Option key and Library will appear
        3.    Select Library
        4.    Navigate to ~/Library/Caches/Outlook/Main Identity/#

Best Regards,

Greg

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Hi,

I have been facing the same issue with no luck...literally frustrated. My GAL was working until i upgraded my OSX. 

I have tried to delete ~/Library/Caches/Outlook/Main Identity/# several times and restarting Outlook. The # folder gets recreated automatically but there is nothing inside it. 

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:11 PM