Explorer.exe WILL NOT stay pinned RRS feed

• Question

• This is a crosspost from the community forums; I was hoping replies here would be more helpful

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/explorerexe-will-not-stay-pinned/6b8e17c6-654e-4804-b5a9-d0248b461ba6

I recently updated to the Anniversary update. Most things are alright, just had to reinstall the sound drivers that windows decided I didn't need.

However, one problem persists: explorer.exe will not stay pinned to the taskbar. All other shortcuts remain pinned

The steps to reproduce the issue, at least on my hardware, are to

1. Pin explorer.exe as normal via a right click > pin to taskbar
    2. Close explorer
    3. Restart explorer.exe
    4. Open explorer
    5. Browse to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    6. Explorer will be unpinned shortly if not instantly
    • A simple reboot will also unpin explorer.exe, but having to constantly reboot while troubleshooting is slow and cumbersome

Fixes I've tried

• Deleting %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar and allowing windows to rebuild it
    • Deleting the "NoStartPage" key in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\explorer.exe
    • Collapsing the %PATH% environment variable as it may have been too long (script 1)
    • Clearing the tile cache (script 2)
    • Shawn's answer (script 3)
    • sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • Clean boot (All non-microsoft services and startup items disabled)
    • Obviously just unpinning and repinning it

Script 1

@echo off

SET MyPath=%PATH%
    echo %MyPath%
    echo --

setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

SET TempPath="%MyPath:;=";"%"
    SET var=
    FOR %%a IN (%TempPath%) DO (
        IF exist %%~sa (
            SET "var=!var!;%%~sa"
        ) ELSE (
            echo %%a does not exist
        )
    )

echo --
    echo !var:~1!

then 
    setx path <OUTPUT OF ABOVE>

Script 2

@echo off
    taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    taskkill /f /im shellexperiencehost.exe
    timeout /t 3 /NOBREAK > nul
    del %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState\* /q
    timeout /t 2 /NOBREAK > nul
    start explorer
    @echo on

Script 3

DEL /F /S /Q /A "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\*"
    REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband /F
    taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    start explorer.exe

• Edited by matejz_ Friday, October 14, 2016 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 8:27 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Before you reinstall it, we could create a new user account, logon with the new account to have a test, in case it is caused by corrupted user profile. 

If the issue persists, I think in-place upgrade repair is better than reinstall, we could try to perform an in-place upgrade repair to refresh the machine. Refreshing the machine won`t affect the personal files. Boot from a Windows 10 ISO, choose "upgrade" install.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2016 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I have tested it on my Windows 10 version 1607 machine, there is no such issue on my side. First of all, I notice that Windows explorer(explorer.exe) is pined to taskbar by default. Then, if I manually pin it to taskbar, then restart explorer.exe and reboot for many times, Windows explorer(explorer.exe) is still pined to taskbar, no such issue.

Based on your situation, I would like to suggest run the "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" command to check and repair the system components at first.
    Then, please boot into clean boot to have a try, in case it is caused by some third party applications and services.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:08 AM
  • I ran dism and it completed successfully, but the issue persists. Clean boots did not solve it either.

This is starting to feel like it's time for the annual windows reinstall

• Edited by matejz_ Friday, October 14, 2016 2:14 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Hi ,

Before you reinstall it, we could create a new user account, logon with the new account to have a test, in case it is caused by corrupted user profile. 

If the issue persists, I think in-place upgrade repair is better than reinstall, we could try to perform an in-place upgrade repair to refresh the machine. Refreshing the machine won`t affect the personal files. Boot from a Windows 10 ISO, choose "upgrade" install.

Best regards

Friday, October 14, 2016 7:37 AM