none
Outlook still pointing to old Exchange server after migration to Exchange 2007.

Question

• I'm migrating Exchange 2000 (in a server that we could call S0) to Exchange 2007 (in a server that we could call S7).

S0 is already decommissioned (ie no longer on the network).  But I see that in users' Outlook 2007 profiles, "Microsoft Exchange server" field is still pointing to S0.mydomain.com.

So right now, I have to create a DNS alias to make S0 point to S7 and this seems to work.

Is there any "official" solution?  Or is there any trick or procedure to reconfigure every PC's Outlook to point to the new Exchange server, ie S7?  I have about 60 PC in my domain and all have Outlook.  It would be nice if such procedure can be applied in mass, but not manually.

TIA
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:04 PM

All replies

• Workaround is the same what you created a host record for old server S0 in DNS.

Already configured outlook profiles require old server - S0 up and running for sometime (until all already configured outlook profiles open with new mailbox location once) to redirect the request to new mailbox server - S7 otherwise configured profile is not able to get direction automatically to new server S7 and need to implement the workaround. 

When you create new outlook profile, wizard will automatically search for appropirate location for mailbox server with help of autodiscover service...

Amit Tank | MVP - Exchange | MCITP:EMA MCSA:M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Hello Horinius,

You can use this tool to update their profile

Microsoft Exchange Server Exchange Profile Redirector
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56F45AC3-448F-4CCC-9BD5-B6B52C13B29C&displaylang=en

You can use GP to force the tool once for all the users.

Exprofre.exe /targetgc=<target global catalog server> /v /f /a /logfile=<share\path> /n

Update us accordingly how it goes
    Arun Kumar | MCSE - 2K3 + Messaging | ITIL-F V3
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Workaround is the same what you created a host record for old server S0 in DNS.

Already configured outlook profiles require old server - S0 up and running for sometime (until all already configured outlook profiles open with new mailbox location once) to redirect the request to new mailbox server - S7 otherwise configured profile is not able to get direction automatically to new server S7 and need to implement the workaround.
    In my test PC, I've opened and closed several times Outlook and check the profile, but Outlook 2007 is still pointing to S0 instead of S7.  Do I miss something?
    When you create new outlook profile, wizard will automatically search for appropirate location for mailbox server with help of autodiscover service...
    I'm not sure if this autodiscover service is running correctly.  Maybe this is the problem?  Or because Outlook was configured to use Exchange 2000, so somehow Outlook is not using autodiscover anymore even though the domain only contains Exchange 2007?

Friday, May 08, 2009 5:50 PM
  • That is what, already configured outlook profile needs a redirection from old Exchange server so S0 requires to be running for sometime. 

So a recommendation for Exchange migration/transition is keep old server S0 up until everybody open outlook at least once or create a host record of S0 to point to new server S7... 

Autodiscover math applies when new profiles are being created.

Amit Tank | MVP - Exchange | MCITP:EMA MCSA:M | http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    Friday, May 08, 2009 5:59 PM
  • That is what, already configured outlook profile needs a redirection from old Exchange server so S0 requires to be running for sometime. 

So a recommendation for Exchange migration/transition is keep old server S0 up until everybody open outlook at least once or create a host record of S0 to point to new server S7...
    Oh sorry, I misunderstood what you said.

"A recommendation for Exchange migration/transition is keep old server S0 up until everybody open outlook at least once"...... well, Microsoft didn't think hard enough.  This recommended scenario is not realistic.

There're more and more mobile users nowadays in companies.  And there're also people going to vacations.  And most of all, admins would prefer to do migration when there're less users.  And even if we really want to follow the recommendation, but if the company is very big, across several sites, it's even not possible to know which users haven't connected to the new Exchange for the first time.  So it's not wise to ask companies to keep old materials for "a long period of time".

In my situation, I'm right now doing the migration using a virtualized SBS2000.  If the migration is good, I'll put the new server online and the old server offline.  If something is wrong, I'll put back the old server online.  So I just can't keep the old server on the network.

Too bad.  I'll try to see if Arun's method works.
    Friday, May 08, 2009 6:33 PM
  • if Arun's methos doesnt work could you type this: Get-OutlookProvider |  format-text
    and inform us about result please.

MCSE,CCNA,VCP,APP
    Friday, May 08, 2009 9:01 PM
  • hi,

did you try to reconnect your outlook to exchange? (if you tried did it work?)

Could you try to install WINS and integrate with DNS for name resolution. Maybe there can be a NETBIOS name resolution problem.

in the DNS clear old exchange server records.

regards,

Mumin CICEK | Exchange - MVP | www.cozumpark.com | www.mumincicek.com
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 11:36 AM
  • Horinius;

If you were using POP3 mail from AOL and switched to AT&T would you expect your mail client to change automatically?

You are pointing to server S0.

You move a mailbox from S0 to S7. S0 knows where that x is, so when you start Outlook it asks S0 to provide a connection to the mailbox. S0 tells Outlook "Mailbox is on S7 now".

Outlook updates the profile.

All is well.

But, when you shut S0 off, Outlook tries to connect to S0 and cannot. It has no way to find S7 unless you put a dns record in place.

In practice, I have moved 10's of thouseands of mailboxes from one server to another, left teh old server alive for as little as a week, and had no issue with people not connecting in time to update their profile.

(By no issue, I mean perhaps 20 people might have needed to have the profile manually updated)

Karl
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:37 PM
  • Any update Horinius?
    Arun Kumar | MCSE - 2K3 + Messaging | ITIL-F V3
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:40 PM
  • If you were using POP3 mail from AOL and switched to AT&T would you expect your mail client to change automatically?

You are pointing to server S0.

You move a mailbox from S0 to S7. S0 knows where that x is, so when you start Outlook it asks S0 to provide a connection to the mailbox. S0 tells Outlook "Mailbox is on S7 now".
    [snipped]
    Your example is irrelevant.  I'm not changing from AOL to AT&T or whatever.  The change is within the provider, and that should be transparent to clients.

Tell you what, it's the way Outlook acts.

Few years ago, I had already envisaged migration of Exchange to a newer version.  So from that moment on, and esp when I started to deploy Office 2007, I always use the DNS alias mail.mydomain.com which pointed to S0.mydomain.com.  However, Outlook was "too intelligent" to change this mail.... back to S0.... !!!  What could I do??

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Any update Horinius?
    Nope, sorry, haven't got the time to try.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 8:12 AM
  • OK, I've got some spare time so I come back to this problem.

Arun suggested me:

You can use GP to force the tool once for all the users.

Exprofre.exe /targetgc=<target global catalog server> /v /f /a /logfile=<share\path> /n

I've tried this tool but it doesn't work.  Below is logfile's content.  I'm not so sure what went wrong.  It worths note that I don't have F: drive in this test computer, so all those f:\..... paths are pointing to something else.

[18:07:18] ************** Beginning exprofre run **************
    [18:07:18] Starting exprofre on Windows 5.1.2600 at 18:07:18 09/16/10
    Target GC = "S7"
    Log File = "c:\exp.log"
    Read Only = "No"
    Rename Favorites = "No"
    Clear Outlook Nickname Cache = "Yes"
    Reset Offline Address Book = "No"
    Log Level = "Verbose"
    OST = "Rename"
    Update the profile based on a change of = "User Legacy Exchange DN"
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\profiler.cpp(283): wmain()
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(821): CheckOSVersion()
    OS version = 5.1.2600
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(835): CheckOSVersion()
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(1143): IsProcessRunning()
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(1176): IsProcessRunning()
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(1143): IsProcessRunning()
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(1176): IsProcessRunning()
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(1405): IsMAPIDLLRunning()
    About to enumerate processes
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(1462): IsMAPIDLLRunning()
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(845): CheckOutlookVersion()
    Registry key name = "Outlook.Application\CurVer"
    About to get default value for the key.
    Outlook version = "Outlook.Application.12"
    About to Close Registry Key
    Outlook 12 is installed.
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(904): CheckOutlookVersion()
    About to CoInitialize
    About to MAPIInitialize
    About to get MAPI Admin Profiles
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\mapi.cxx(168): CMAPI::GetDefaultProfileName()
    About to get Profile Table.
    About to set columns to search.
    About to restrict the search.
    About to find row.
    About to get row count.
    About to query rows.
    Could not get PR_DISPLAY_NAME_W
    Default profile name = "Outlook"
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(110): EncodeKey()
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\stdafx.cxx(161): EncodeKey()
    About to free MAPI buffers.
    About to release profile table
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\mapi.cxx(337): CMAPI::GetDefaultProfileName()
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\mapi.cxx(1078): CMAPI::UpdateDefaultProfileProperties()
    About to get message service admin
    About to Open default profile section
    About to get profile properties
    Profile user = "/o=mydomain/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=horinius"
    Could not get PR_PROFILE_OFFLINE_STORE_PATH
    Could not get PR_PROFILE_OFFLINE_STORE_PATH
    Profile home server = "S0"
    Profile home server DN = "/o=mydomain/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=S0"
    Profile unresolved server = "S0"
    Profile home server name FQDN = "S0.mydomain.com"
    Profile config flags = "0x1004"
    Display name = "Seak, Teng-Fong"
    Could not get PR_PROFILE_SERVER
    Could not get PR_PROFILE_SERVER_DN
    About to open registry key = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders"
    Path to the Local AppData = "C:\Documents and Settings\horinius\Local Settings\Application Data"
    Path to the AppData = "C:\Documents and Settings\horinius\Application Data"
    About to Close Registry Key
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\ad.cxx(119): CActiveDirectory::OpenConnection()
    The active directory path = "GC://S7"
    About to connect to the global catalog server.
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\ad.cxx(171): CActiveDirectory::OpenConnection()
    [18:07:18] Entering: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\ad.cxx(181): CActiveDirectory::SearchForTheUserProfile()
    Search filter = "(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(proxyAddresses=X500:/o=mydomain/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=horinius))"
    About to execute the search.
    About to get the user profile.
    [18:07:18] Error: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\ad.cxx(228): CActiveDirectory::SearchForTheUserProfile()
    "The users mailbox has not been migrated or the profile update has already been run."

HRESULT=0x5012

[18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\ad.cxx(241): CActiveDirectory::SearchForTheUserProfile()
    About to free MAPI buffers.
    About to Release Profile Section
    About to release message service admin
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\mapi.cxx(1756): CMAPI::UpdateDefaultProfileProperties()
    About to Release Search Root.
    About to MAPIUninitialize
    [18:07:18] Leaving: f:\df7720\deployment\src\autoprof\profiler.cpp(654): wmain()
    The default user profile and/or Outlook files were not changed

Ismail suggested me to do a
    Get-OutlookProvider |  format-text

This is the result.  It worths note that "format-text" caused me error (no such command) so I ran the command without it:

Name  Server  CertPrincipalName  TTL
    ----  ------  -----------------  ---
    EXCH                             1
    EXPR                             1
    WEB                              1

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:34 PM
  • I'm thinking:

is it possible to set up an Exchange 2007 server but having the same name as the old one, ie S0 and make those Outlook clients to point back to S7 gradually?  Then after a period of time, I'll "pull down" this S0?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:15 AM