ESE and NTBackup Errors RRS feed

• Question

• looks like good old priv1.edb is corrupt but the stores are still mounting and chugging along.

Windows 2003 standard and Exchange 2003 standard, both at latest service packs and no third party software (AV etc) running.  Just a single private store and single public store and only 1 domain (182 mailboxes).

What happened in a nutshell was:
    1) old hardware failing
    2) Worked with Microsoft Exchange Support to move to new hardware
    3) all went great (NTBackup worked fine on old hardware)
    4) discovered 2 days later that NTBackup was not working on new server and ESE errors appeared during cleanup operations--both pointing to checksum page errors in priv1.edb
    5) Microsoft wants another $260 to troubleshoot this problem, so I came here first

I did check with HP (new server vendor) and I patched/update all drivers/firmware.  It could be that the hardware out of the box caused the corruption.  All HP tests now show hardware is AOK.

So what are my next steps?  I can export (via EXMerge) the PST's just fine.

Can I just:
    1) Exmerge export PST's
    2) Dismount store
    3) delete priv1.edb
    4) mount store
    5) Exmerge import PST's

Is it that straightforward? or do I have to delete log files as well? or other DB files?

example of Event Log from ESE:
    ============
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ESE
    Event Category: Database Page Cache
    Event ID: 474
    Date:  8/27/2008
    Time:  2:02:51 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: JRWMAIL
    Description:
    Information Store (4516) First Storage Group: The database page read from the file "e:\exchange\priv1.edb" at offset 5466759168 (0x0000000145d82000) (database page 1334657 (0x145D81)) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch.  The expected checksum was 1025147508287114324 (0x0e3a0e3a31d48c54) and the actual checksum was 90492824024338733 (0x01417ebe76b1512d).  The read operation will fail with error -1018 (0xfffffc06).  If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup.  This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.
    For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
    =======================
    Example of NTBackup Log error:
    Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "JRWMAIL-Daily_Backup.bkf created 8/25/2008 at 7:27 PM"
    Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
    Backup of "JRWMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"
    Backup set #1 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 8/25/2008 at 7:27 PM"
    Media name: "JRWMAIL-Daily_Backup.bkf created 8/25/2008 at 7:27 PM"
    Backup Type: Normal
    Backup started on 8/25/2008 at 7:27 PM.
    The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d).
    ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'The 'Microsoft Information Store' returned 'Error returned from an ESE function call (d).
    ' from a call to 'HrESEBackupRead()' additional data '-'
    The operation was ended.
    Backup completed on 8/25/2008 at 7:31 PM.
    Directories: 0
    Files: 1
    Bytes: 2,211,971,726
    Time:  4 minutes and  11 seconds
    ----------------------
    The operation did not successfully complete.
    ===========

Thanks...

--Kapp
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:12 PM

Answers

• My steps failed.  Though the Exmerge export went fine, I could not mount the empty databases. 

I deleted the priv1.* files and did a mount of the First Storage Group and it gave the warning that it will create new database since none existed.  It did create them but the mount failed.

Tried for 6 hours with Microsoft Exchange Support on the phone and we finally gave up. We could not determine why the new databases would not mount.  We brought the corrupted database back into existence and ran the eseutil to repair and defrag followed by 3 good doses of integrity checking. All is well now.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The steps are logical but you can also create a new message store and then move the mailboxes to the new one. This will save you a lot of time and sometimes this works also.

Regards,

Johan

i: www.johanveldhuis.nl

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I considered that but I thought there are about 3 system mailboxes that can not be moved, System Attendant, System and SMTP mailboxes.  If that is true, are there ramifications for keeping the old corrupt store with just those 3 mailboxes?

I was assuming that starting with a newly created priv1.edb would re-instate those mailboxes in the new database.

*edit*

I have Exchange 2003 standard. I believe I am limited to1 storage group,1 private store,1 public store, correct? so moving the mailboxes is not possible?

If that is correct, then I am back to using Exmerge, which is fine with me.  I am just not sure if the only file I have to delete is priv1.edb (after the export and before the import of PST files).

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding the three mailboxes question, I suggest that you check the following article which answered your questions:

Overview of Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003 Special Mailboxes

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996235(EXCHG.65).aspx

Yes, Exchange 2003 standard can only have only 1 mailbox store which can be accessed by using MAPI and Outlook Web Access.

Comparison between Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition and Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822440

I think that you should remove both priv1.stm and priv1.edb files (move the two files to another disk) after export the data by using Exmerge. I suggest that you perform the steps firstly on your lab environment.

Mike

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:41 AM
  • My steps failed.  Though the Exmerge export went fine, I could not mount the empty databases. 

I deleted the priv1.* files and did a mount of the First Storage Group and it gave the warning that it will create new database since none existed.  It did create them but the mount failed.

Tried for 6 hours with Microsoft Exchange Support on the phone and we finally gave up. We could not determine why the new databases would not mount.  We brought the corrupted database back into existence and ran the eseutil to repair and defrag followed by 3 good doses of integrity checking. All is well now.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:39 PM