none
Autodiscovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

while upgrading from E2010 to E2016 I stumbled upon auto-discovery. From what I read I need to create a CNAME "autodiscovery" pointing to E2016. I also read I can create a SRV record _autodiscovery. The difference is not clear for me.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/architecture/client-access/autodiscover?view=exchserver-2019

In addition Outlook complains about the certificate which does not have "autodiscovery" record as additional DNS name. I know how to create an appropriate one (with my internal AD CA) but I'm wondering if this this the suggested way to manually create a certificate request with all required DNS names which also needs to be renewed manually.

So:

- what is the correct way to configure auto-discovery in DNS?
    - can I do the this somehow keeping my auto-enrolled certificate "mail.mydomain"?

Thank you!

Monday, October 21, 2019 10:46 AM

Answers

• I've written a number of articles about Autodiscover that should help you out. The first article has an explanation of how Autodiscover works and a number of links at the end of the post that go into detail on how to configure Exchange Autodiscover.

For your particular issue, where you have an SSL certificate with only one name, you'll want to view my post on Configuring Exchange for Internal DNS.
    You will also want some information on modifying the AD Service Control Point for Exchange. The SCP is what Domain joined computers will use first when discovering the Autodiscover endpoint, so you will want to set that to point to mail.mydomain.com.

The articles on my blog cover the subject pretty comprehensively, so go through them all and if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:02 PM

All replies

• I've written a number of articles about Autodiscover that should help you out. The first article has an explanation of how Autodiscover works and a number of links at the end of the post that go into detail on how to configure Exchange Autodiscover.

For your particular issue, where you have an SSL certificate with only one name, you'll want to view my post on Configuring Exchange for Internal DNS.
    You will also want some information on modifying the AD Service Control Point for Exchange. The SCP is what Domain joined computers will use first when discovering the Autodiscover endpoint, so you will want to set that to point to mail.mydomain.com.

The articles on my blog cover the subject pretty comprehensively, so go through them all and if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Monday, October 21, 2019 5:02 PM
  • Thank you. I removed the CNAME "autodiscovery" and kept the SRV record "_autodiscovery". Works fine.
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 11:02 PM