none
OAB didn't appear to migrate properly from 2007 to 2010

Question

• The OAB virtual directory is empty on the 2010 server under C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB.  I do, however, see items in C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ExchangeOAB\48341453-eef6-43cf-9d56-e2e8e5de1265

When I open EMC, Organization Configuration, Mailbox, Offline Address Book, then bring up properties for the Default Offline Address Book, click the Distriution tab, I get a error stating "Error found when loading objects, please use the command-line to query or edit full list.  Error: An IIS directory entry couldn't be created. The errot message is Access is denied. . HResult = -2147024891 It was running the command"3c5177d0-4485-4fd4-9842-95ee47f1fc3c | Get-oabVirtualDirectory

When I run the PS command: get-oabvirtualdirectory  I get an error: Ann IIS directoy entry couldn't be create. The error message is Access is denied.

Everything else seems to be working just fine, but this OAB.  I did remove th SSL cert on the 2007 and reissued it for the 2010 server before moving the AOB.  Not sure if that would have caused any issues...

Thanks in advanced for any solutions!

-Jack

Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:09 PM

Answers

• I believe you forgot to restart System Attendant service.

Make sure that .LZX files are getting generated on Both the servers.

Gulab | MCTS-MCITP: 2010 | MCTS-MCITP: 2007 | MCC | Skype: gulab.mallah
    • Marked as answer by Truwarrior Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:30 PM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:53 AM

All replies

• Did you run EMC as administrator?  Did you run EMS as administrator?  If not, try that first.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 8:17 PM
  • When I moved it?  No.  It stated that the new 2010 server is the generation server.  I just ran the EMC as administrator and when click on the distrivution tabe I still get the error I mentioned above.
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Same error if you simply create a new OAB?

Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:01 AM
  • Actually, if I even click add, the Select OAB Virtual Directoy box appears as well as a error message that states. "An IIS directory entry couldn't be created. The error message is Access denied. . HResult = -2147024891 It was running the comend 'Get-OabVirtualDirectory'.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Perhaps some progress...

I forgot to follow configure the "OAB and Web Services virtual directory" in the Exchange Server 2010 Deployment Assistant guide.  The commands were:

set-oabvirtualdirectory -identity "servername\OAB (Default Web Site)" -ExternalUrl https://mail.domain.com/OAB -RequireSSL:$true

then

Set-WebServicesVirtualDirectory -Identity "servername\EWS (Default Web Site)" -ExternalUrl https://mail.domain.com/EWS/Exchange.asmx -BasicAuthentication:$True

That didn't seem to do much from what I could see, but after a short break, I went back into the EMS, Org. Config, Offline Address Book tab, brought up the properties, click the distribution tab, clicked add, which give me an IIS directory couldn't be created..., click ok to close the error, selected the server name, click ok, removed the OAB with the red icon to the left, restarted the Microsoft Exchange File Distribution service, and now I have files in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\OAB directory.  I'm going to see if I can download them from Outlook now.

Oddly though after all of this if I click on the Add, under the Default Office Address book properties, I'm getting the An IIS directory entry couldn't be created... error still, but atleast OAB now doesn't have the red looking error icon, now it loose like a folder with an address book in the front of it.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Still can't seem to get it yet.

When I go to https://mail.domain.com/oab/ I get a 403 error, access denied.

When trying to download from Outlook 2010, I get "Task 'name@domain.com' reported error (0x8004010f) : 'The operation failed. An object cannot be found'.

• Edited by Truwarrior Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:32 AM grammar
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:31 AM
  • I believe you forgot to restart System Attendant service.

Make sure that .LZX files are getting generated on Both the servers.

Gulab | MCTS-MCITP: 2010 | MCTS-MCITP: 2007 | MCC | Skype: gulab.mallah
    • Marked as answer by Truwarrior Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:30 PM
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:53 AM
  • I restarted the System Attendant.  When I open Outlook 2010 and perform a send/rec. for the address book.  I don't get any errors.

When I go to https://mail.domain.com/oab/ I still get a 403 error, access denied.  Perhaps this is normal?

Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Yes, that is normal.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:34 AM
  • This appears to be the standard message for an Exchange 2007 OAB distribution server, when using Exchange 2010 admin tools. Exchange 2007 tools display these correctly. Adding the new server as a distribution server and deleting the failed (only if no longer required), resolves the problem. Ignore the error if the 2007 OABs are still required.

Jon

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 6:04 AM