Can't Delete Empty Folder in Deleted Items

Question

• Running Outlook 2013 on a Windows 8.1 machine. Exchange 2010 on SBS 2011 platform.

I have an empty folder within the deleted items folder. I can manually delete all messages within the deleted items but I cannot get that empty sub folder deleted. My permissions are set to "owner". I'm getting a message that says, "outlook is synchronizing local changes made to items in this folder. You cannot remove this folder until the synchronization with the server is complete". I've done shift+F9 in both the deleted items and the sub folder and that hasn't helped.

Please advise.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is outlook running on the Cached Exchange Mode?  as the first step, I suggest you to disable it try again,

tnx

Lrok

Lrok

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:40 AM
  • Hello,

I recommend you check if owa has the issue. If the issue doesn't occur on owa, the issue may be related to outlook.

I find a thread that has similar error for your reference.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55c61a73-d717-482c-b9eb-255ea738b512/deleted-item-empty-folder-error?forum=outlook

Please try to install the lastest update of Outlook to check the result.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:57 AM
  • look in Outlook Web Access, if it's not there then remove your OST file and/or your outlook mail profile and start again, if it's on OWA try to remove from there. If you don't have OWA you could try outlook in non-cached mode.
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 03, 2013 7:12 AM
  • I have the same issue running Outlook 2013 against an Exchange 2013 account. When I access OWA and empty my "Deleted Items" folder, I have no issues. I only see this error in Outlook.
    • Proposed as answer by Rittech Thursday, July 03, 2014 3:18 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 11:46 AM
  • I have the same issue running Outlook 2013 against an Exchange 2013 account. When I access OWA and empty my "Deleted Items" folder, I have no issues. I only see this error in Outlook.

This has worked for me several times,  Close out of outlook, Open control panel then Mail, Data Files,advance, outlook data file settings, Compact now. after you compact the data file open outlook again and you should be able to empty the deleted  Items folder.

• Proposed as answer by Rittech Thursday, July 03, 2014 3:27 PM
    • Edited by Rittech Thursday, July 03, 2014 3:27 PM
    Thursday, July 03, 2014 3:26 PM
  • I've just experienced the same behavior.

When I moved a message from "Deleted items" to the "Empty folder", I could remove it.

:)

Thursday, October 09, 2014 3:23 PM
  • This fixed it for me. Thanks.
    Saturday, October 11, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Yea, it worked.

I was able to delete the folders from OWA, and later synchronized the Outlook 2013, now the un-delete-able folders are gone.

Friday, April 10, 2015 9:34 AM
  • I've just experienced the same behavior.

When I moved a message from "Deleted items" to the "Empty folder", I could remove it.

:)

That worked for me after trying all other suggestions provided here.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:20 PM