none
Linked mailboxes, changing the target domain RRS feed

• Question

• Just inherited a new environment.

Domain A: EXCHANGE

Domain B: OLDUSERS

Domain C: NEWUSERS

The required trusts are in place.

Users mailboxes are created on Domain A as "Linked Mailboxes" with the target accounts in Domain B. Domain B is due to be decomissioned and I need to re-target all the mailboxes to accounts in Domain C.

Performing this task through the GUI is simple enoug. After I have orphaned the mailbox, I simply link it to the new account in Domain C. However I am required to enter a password for each account!

Two questions:

1.) What would the Powershell command be for re-linking the mailbox to an account in Domain C

2.) How can I perform this task without having to know the password of each target account.

Thanks

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:27 AM

Answers

• An account that has administrative permissions in Domain C should be enoug for the credentials.

As for the command, something like this:

#enter Domain C credentials
    $credential = get-credential

#connect with something like this
    Connect-Mailbox -Identity "<ExchangeGUID>" -Database "<mailboxdatabasename>" -LinkedDomainController "<DomainCotrollerName.DomainC.local>" -LinkedMasterAccount "<LinkedMasterAccountInDomainC>" -LinkedCredential $credential -User "<MailboxDN>" -DomainController "<DomainCotrollerName.DomainA.local>"

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:16 PM

All replies

• An account that has administrative permissions in Domain C should be enoug for the credentials.

As for the command, something like this:

#enter Domain C credentials

#connect with something like this
    Connect-Mailbox -Identity "<ExchangeGUID>" -Database "<mailboxdatabasename>" -LinkedDomainController "<DomainCotrollerName.DomainC.local>" -LinkedMasterAccount "<LinkedMasterAccountInDomainC>" -LinkedCredential $credential -User "<MailboxDN>" -DomainController "<DomainCotrollerName.DomainA.local>"

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Here's something I played with in the past that might be usefull. Provided as-is ... you might be able to modify it for your own needs.

# Get Domain C credentials (an administratieve accoutn in domain c)

# You need to create an input file containing the ExchangeGUID attribute and
    # the LinkedMasterAccount attribute-to-be
    	$targetfile = "D:\Mailboxes.txt"
    	$targetMbxData = import-csv $targetfile

# GET COLLECTION OF USER MAILBOXES TO BE RECONNECTED AS LINKED MAILBOXES
    # CHANGE THE GET-MAILBOX FILTER TO WHATEVER SUITS YOUR NEEDS

$collection = Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "DomainA.local/Users" `
    	| where {$_.displayname -like "Test*" -and $_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq "UserMailbox"} `
    	| select database, distinguishedname,ExchangeGUID

# DISSCONNECT MAILBOXES IN COLLECTION

$collection | foreach {
    	  # DISCONNECT USER MAILBOX
    	  disable-mailbox  -Identity "$($_.distinguishedname)" -confirm:$false
    	  # DISABLE USER ACCOUNT
    	  dsmod user "$($_.distinguishedname)" -disabled yes
    	}

# RECONNECT SEEMS TO BE WORKING WITHOUT CLEAN-MAILBOX !
     	#get-mailboxdatabase |  Clean-MailboxDatabase 

# IT TAKES EXCHANGE A WHILE TO FIGURE OUT THAT A MAILBOX 
    # HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED, SO WE WAIT (YOU MIGHT NEED TO PLAY WITH THIS)

Sleep 10

# RECONNECT MAILBOXES IN COLLECTION

foreach ($mbx in $collection) {
    	  # LOOKUP OLD MAILBOX DATA IN DUMPFILE
    	  $targetMbxDataitem = $targetMbxData | where {$_.ExchangeGUID -eq $mbx.ExchangeGUID}
    	  # RECONNECT MAILBOX AS LINKED MAILBOX
    	  Connect-Mailbox -Identity "$($mbx.ExchangeGUID)" -Database "$($mbx.database)" `
    		-LinkedDomainController "DomainCotrollerName.DomainC.local" -LinkedMasterAccount `
    		"$($oldMbxDataItem.LinkedMasterAccount)" -LinkedCredential $credential -User `
    		"$($mbx.distinguishedname)" -DomainController "vadc104.rotterdam.local"
    	}

to create the targetfile, you might want to export the data before disconnecting from Domin B and then just modify it to what is should be in Domin C (if usernames are the sam, you probablu won't need to modify a lot either) ... something like this ?

#same statement you use to populate $collection variable
    Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit "DomainA.local/Users" `
    	| where {$_.displayname -like "Test*" -and $_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq "UserMailbox"} `
    	| select database, distinguishedname,ExchangeGUID`
    	| export-csv -notypeinformation "D:\Mailboxes.txt"

good luck

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:31 PM