Outlook rule to automatically forward undeliverable mails RRS feed

• Question

• We have a requirement to forward undeliverable mails with specific words in the subject to be automatically forwarded to an internal recipient. But it does not work.

Any other condition like moving the undeliverable mail to another folder or deleting it works fine.

Normal mails with specific words are also forwarded but not the undeliverable returns or the read receipts.

Is it the normal behavior of outlook or a bug? By the way..the outlook version is Outlook 2007.

Please help me. I understood it must be a problem with outlook design but the user wants me to provide a proof/explanation for that..

Sunday, April 17, 2011 7:24 AM

Answers

• Here you go below. It appears that the behavior has changed for Ex2010, for 2010 it appears that the edge role can now process system messages but Hub still can't

Message types

All messages except system messages

Understanding How Transport Rules Are Applied in an Exchange 2007 Organization

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124703(EXCHG.80).aspx

Understanding How Transport Rules Are Applied

Message types

All messages

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124703.aspx

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:10 PM

All replies

• You can't set rules on system generated messages, which is what NDRs are.
    This has been the case for all versions of Outlook.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Proposed as answer by Jerome Xiong Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:59 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jerome Xiong Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:52 AM
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Sembee is correct, DSN messages are excluded from running any rules against it.
    James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 2:14 PM
  • It is right. That is default behavior.

But why not copy NDRs to a Mailbox?

In Exchange 2007, if an NDR is generated for a permanent delivery failure, you have the option of copying the NDR to an alternative mailbox. However, Exchange 2007 does not enable this functionality by default. You must configure Exchange 2007 to copy NDRs to a mailbox.

In order to copy Internal or External NDRs to a mailbox, you must  Perform some procedure on a Hub Transport server in your organization.

More information about How to Copy NDRs to a Mailbox

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:58 AM
  • Thank you all for your inputs. I guessed its from configuration.

But, Can you please refer me to the documentation from Microsoft so that i can submit it to the user that supports the statement?

>>DSN messages are excluded from running any rules against it

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:41 AM
  • Here you go below. It appears that the behavior has changed for Ex2010, for 2010 it appears that the edge role can now process system messages but Hub still can't

Message types

Understanding How Transport Rules Are Applied in an Exchange 2007 Organization

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124703(EXCHG.80).aspx

Understanding How Transport Rules Are Applied

Message types

All messages

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124703.aspx

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:10 PM