none
How to prepare AD for Exchange 2010

Question

• I have empty root domain that has Schema Master and Domain Naming Roles. I also have a Child domain where I am going to install Exchange 2010. I ran setup /PrepareSchema and setup /PrepareAD successfully at the root domain. 

The question I have Do I have to run Setup /PrepareAD in my Child domain or not?

I already ran setup /PrepareDomain and setup /PrepareAllDomains successfully in my child domain.

Please let me know If I am doing something wrong

Thanks

AB

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You don't need to run prepareAD again.

Also from Technet:

"You must run this command on a computer in the same domain and in the same Active Directory site as the schema master. Setup will make all configuration changes to the schema master to avoid conflicts because of replication latency."

Prepare Active Directory and Domains

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125224.aspx

Frank Wang
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:54 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:44 AM

All replies

• Sounds about right. Do you get errors when you try and install Exchange?

Casper Pieterse, Principle Consultant - UC, Dimension Data South Africa, Microsoft Certified Master: Exchange 2007
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I am not getting any error when I install Exchange in my Child domain. But I am just wondering if I have to run /PrepareAD in my child domain or not. I tried to run PrepareAD but it error it out because I don't have schema master in this child domain.

• Proposed as answer by Reime Monday, September 10, 2012 11:05 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Hi,

You don't need to run prepareAD again.

Also from Technet:

"You must run this command on a computer in the same domain and in the same Active Directory site as the schema master. Setup will make all configuration changes to the schema master to avoid conflicts because of replication latency."

Prepare Active Directory and Domains

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125224.aspx

Frank Wang
    • Marked as answer by Frank.Wang Tuesday, May 04, 2010 3:54 AM
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:44 AM