Moving DFS root to Windows 2008 DCs RRS feed

• Question

• We have a domain-based DFS namespace.  The root is currently replicated between a Win2K server and a Win2K3-SP1 server.  File shares currently reside on Win2K3-SP1 servers.

Are there any issues with adding the DFS role to my (2) new Win2K8 DCs and replicating the root, and then removing the non-Win2K8 root-targets?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• OK..looks like we're getting to be on the same page.  ;-)

Q1 - In addition to the Win2K3 File Services\FRS, I'm assuming that the Distributed File System\DFS Namespace role service will also need to be added(and probably wouldn't hurt to add the DFS Replication role service as well, to prep us to when we can migrate to the Win2k* version of DFS)

A: From your description, Server 5 and Server 6 (Windows Server 2008) will be designed to hold domain based DFS namespace, thus, what you think is right. You may add DFS Namespace role service on the Windows Server 2008 box to make it to be the DFS namespace server.

Q2 - You answered by saying "The DFS root data..".  Just want to make sure there's no confusion.  You mean that the actual files/data won't be moving, and not the "empty" DFS-root structure that gets created and help on a server hosting the namespace, correct?  When I see the word "root", I associated it to the "root target(s)" as listed in the DFS snap-in at the namespace level, not a "target" this just a link to the fileshare.

A: Yes. Correct. The actual files and data that reside on Server3 and Server4 won't be moving, the new add DFS namespace server will replicate the DFS root information from root target on Windows Server 2003 to DFS namespac server on Windows Server 2008.

Please note: Root targets are called root servers on Windows Server 2003, and it is also called DFS namespace server in Windows Server 2008.

For more information about DFS, please refer to the following document.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782417.aspx

Hope it helps.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by David Shen Monday, May 11, 2009 9:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:41 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2009 8:38 AM
  • Completely understood that DFSR is the preferred replication method.  If I could, I would.  ;-)

Since the file servers are 2003, they'll continue to replicate to each other with no problem, right?

So I cannot add the File Services\Windows 2003 File Services\FRS role service to just enable the Win2K8 server to replicate the root target with the Win2K3 DFS root holder?

We're not moving the actual data from the 2003 File Servers.  That data will stay in it's current location.  So we shouldn't need the Data Migration Toolkit, correct?

Hi dathrill,

Q: Since the file servers are 2003, they'll continue to replicate to each other with no problem, right? So I cannot add the File Services\Windows 2003 File Services\FRS role service to just enable the Win2K8 server to replicate the root target with the Win2K3 DFS root holder?

A: From your description, it seems that you wonder if we can use FRS (ntfrs.exe) to replicate the DFS root target among Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003. The answer is yes, you can create a DFS fault tolerant root on a Windows Server 2008 based-server by adding "Windows Server 2003 File Services role" including "File Replication Service" on Windows Server 2008. They will continue to replicate with each other.

Steps:

1. Launch Server Manager on windows server 2008.
    2. Go to File Services
    3. Add Role Services
    4. Select File Replication Service.

Q: We're not moving the actual data from the 2003 File Servers.  That data will stay in it's current location.  So we shouldn't need the Data Migration Toolkit, correct?

A: as the DFS root data (which is running in Windows 2000-compatibility mode)willl still stay on the current location on Windows Server 2003 file server, you don't need to use the File Server Migratioin Toolkit. I'm sorry to causing you the confusion with my previous reply.

Hope the information will be clear and helpful for you.

Friday, May 8, 2009 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

When we migrate a domain-based namespace from Windows 2000 server and Windows Server 2003 to a Windows Server 2008 based-computer, one thing we may need to notice is that the DFS namespace mode.

Based on the research, the DFS namespaces with different mode cannot co-exist with each other (Windows 2000 Server mode and Windows Serve 2008 mode). If you use a domain-based namespace, you may have to choose one of the following namespace modes:

1. Windows 2000 Server mode

2. Windows Server 2008 mode

If there is a namespace running with Windows 2000 Server mode, so you may have to stay with windows 2000 server mode and you cannot create a namespace with Windows Server 2008 mode under this circumstances.

In order to implement DFS namespace with Windows Server 2008 mode,  you may need to use dfsutil tool to migrate all the current domain-based namespace from Windows 2000 Server mode to Windows Server 2008 mode.

Migrate a Domain-based Namespace to Windows Server 2008 Mode

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753875.aspx

To smoothly migrate the DFS root, you may consider using File Server Migration Toolkit v1.1 to migrate the DFS namespace from the old Windows Server 2003 to the new Windows Server 2008. By using File Server Migration Toolkit, we can copy shared folders, files, and their security settings from a source file server to a target file server without losing their share and NTFS security settings. It is very easy to use FSMT, which can save you lots of time and effort.

For more detailed information about FSMT, you may refer to the following documents.

Download: Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d00e3eae-930a-42b0-b595-66f462f5d87b&DisplayLang=en

Overview of the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=604BE797-D19E-4BC1-A148-B48FC731135E&displaylang=en

Meanwhile, I have also included some online resource about deploying and migrating DFS namespace.

Deploying DFS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736370.aspx

How to manually decommission a root server that hosts a domain-based DFS root in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/842218

Hope it helps.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:30 AM
  • ok, I'm confused.  Let me see if I can provide more info and if I understand what you're saying.

- Because we have DFS namespace (root targets) on a Win2K server and a Win2K3 server, the DFS mode is running in a Win2k-compatibility mode.

- We could just add the DFS role to the Win2K8 servers and add another root target that points to the new Win2K8 servers to replicate to them because they can run in "Win2k  DFS mode" without any problems when the old Win2K and Win2K3 servers are removed as root targets.

- To take advantage of the new Win2K8 DFS features, we would need to use the DFSUtil to export the current settings, and import them into a new Win2k8-based DFS namespace (named the same as the old one).

- We're not moving the actual data from the 2003 File Servers.  That data will stay in it's current location.  So we shouldn't need the Data Migration Toolkit, correct?

The help/advice is appreciated.
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hello Dathrill,

Remember that w2k8 runs DFSR for replication as opposed to frs for w2k3. So you could add dfs role to w2k8 and add annother ftroot target but I am not sure you can successfully replicate between w2k3 and w2k8 except you are running w2k3 R2. If your data stays in the w2k3 then you don't have to migrate any data. You can create target\links referrals between w2k3 and w2k8 but as long as you don't intend to replicate between the two you should be fine..

My understanding is that you just want to create a dfs fault tolerant root on the w2k8 servers as well. If that is the case

create an empty RootShare with the same name as the other root shares in the w2k8 and then run
    dfsutl.exe /addftroot /server:w2k8_Servername /share:Dfsrootsharename and this will basically create an ftroot mirror of your dfs in the w2k8 DC.

Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Completely understood that DFSR is the preferred replication method.  If I could, I would.  ;-)

Since the file servers are 2003, they'll continue to replicate to each other with no problem, right?

So I cannot add the File Services\Windows 2003 File Services\FRS role service to just enable the Win2K8 server to replicate the root target with the Win2K3 DFS root holder?

Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Yes, the 2003 fileservers will continue to replicate with each other. I am not sure about the frs role to w2k8. I don't think it will work, but someone else out there might have a different view.

Quick question, do you have domain name space? If so, why don;t you just let replication to continue amongst the w2k3 servers and then just mirror the root target to the w2k8 domain controllers? by creating fault tolerant roots?
    Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:54 PM

We're not moving the actual data from the 2003 File Servers.  That data will stay in it's current location.  So we shouldn't need the Data Migration Toolkit, correct?

Hi dathrill,

Q: Since the file servers are 2003, they'll continue to replicate to each other with no problem, right? So I cannot add the File Services\Windows 2003 File Services\FRS role service to just enable the Win2K8 server to replicate the root target with the Win2K3 DFS root holder?

A: From your description, it seems that you wonder if we can use FRS (ntfrs.exe) to replicate the DFS root target among Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003. The answer is yes, you can create a DFS fault tolerant root on a Windows Server 2008 based-server by adding "Windows Server 2003 File Services role" including "File Replication Service" on Windows Server 2008. They will continue to replicate with each other.

Steps:

1. Launch Server Manager on windows server 2008.
    2. Go to File Services
    3. Add Role Services
    4. Select File Replication Service.

Q: We're not moving the actual data from the 2003 File Servers.  That data will stay in it's current location.  So we shouldn't need the Data Migration Toolkit, correct?

A: as the DFS root data (which is running in Windows 2000-compatibility mode)willl still stay on the current location on Windows Server 2003 file server, you don't need to use the File Server Migratioin Toolkit. I'm sorry to causing you the confusion with my previous reply.

Hope the information will be clear and helpful for you.

Friday, May 8, 2009 9:15 AM

Q1 - In addition to the Win2K3 File Services\FRS, I'm assuming that the Distributed File System\DFS Namespace role service will also need to be added(and probably wouldn't hurt to add the DFS Replication role service as well, to prep us to when we can migrate to the Win2k* version of DFS)

Q2 - You answered by saying "The DFS root data..".  Just want to make sure there's no confusion.  You mean that the actual files/data won't be moving, and not the "empty" DFS-root structure that gets created and help on a server hosting the namespace, correct?  When I see the word "root", I associated it to the "root target(s)" as listed in the DFS snap-in at the namespace level, not a "target" this just a link to the fileshare.

Server1 - Windows 2000 Root Target, replicates domain namespace
    Server2 - Windows 2003 Root Target, replicates domain namespace

Server3 - Windows 2003 File Server (hosts fileshares that are "pointed to by the namespace). NO CHANGES BEING MADE
    Server4 - Windows 2003 File Server (uses FRS to replicate specific file shares from Server3, DFS referral changed as need. Only holds backup data in case main file server is unavailable) NO CHANGES BEING MADE

Server5 - Windows 2008 Server. Plan to take over holding the domain namespace from Server1 so Server1 can be removed from DFS
    Server6 - Windows 2008 Server. Plan to take over holding the domain namespace from Server2 so Server2 can be removed from DFS

Hope I'm giving an accurate picture.  I appreciate the info.  Thanx for the help everyone.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 1:33 PM

A: From your description, Server 5 and Server 6 (Windows Server 2008) will be designed to hold domain based DFS namespace, thus, what you think is right. You may add DFS Namespace role service on the Windows Server 2008 box to make it to be the DFS namespace server.

A: Yes. Correct. The actual files and data that reside on Server3 and Server4 won't be moving, the new add DFS namespace server will replicate the DFS root information from root target on Windows Server 2003 to DFS namespac server on Windows Server 2008.

Please note: Root targets are called root servers on Windows Server 2003, and it is also called DFS namespace server in Windows Server 2008.

For more information about DFS, please refer to the following document.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782417.aspx

Hope it helps.

Monday, May 11, 2009 8:38 AM
  • I have Win2k8 R2 Foundation and I am trying to add the "File Replication Service." I have installed the "Windows Server 2003 File Services role," but I only have the option for "Indexing Service." No option for "File Replciation Service" under "Windows 2003 File Services Role." What am I missing?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:21 PM
  • For me on my 2k8 R2 box, this option is not available:

"4. Select File Replication Service."

There is only DFS with replication, etc.

There is NO option for selecting FRS.

I don't really need to add it, but I just find it odd that several folks suggest to "add w2k3 files services" AND "file replication services" and yet both are not available. Could that be a difference in Win2k8 vs. Win2k8 R2?

I do need to (eventually) migrate data from W2k3 servers over to some W2K8 servers but, for now, just added the W2K8 DCs as 'DFS servers' so that I can remove my old W2K3 DCs from being DFS servers and retire them.

I only found ONE article regarding my specific case: i.e., Turn on DFS on the W2K8 server(s), add the servers to the DFS root, then delete the W2K3 server(s) from the DFS admin interface, then run a "cleanup" command that cleans off remainder of the DFS root pointers from the old w2k3 server(s).

Does that sound right?

I am not moving ANY data at this point.

Old servers are NOT R2 - they are w2k3 sp1, new servers are w2k8 R2 SP1.

Thanks.

tnjman

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:33 PM
  • Same here (as I posted above).

I have the same issue.

tnjman

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:34 PM