none
New Edge Subscrition file

Question

• Ok accourding to the technet library I am supposed to use the exchange command shell to create the new edgesubscription file.

The command I am using is

New-EdgeSubscrition -FileName "C:\EdgesubscriptionInfp.xml

The error I get is

"you can't use the FileName Parameter when running this command inside your Exchange organization.

+CatagoryInfo : InvalidOperation" <:> [New-EdgeSubscription], INvalidOperationException

+FullyQualifiedErrorID:79B6D023,Microsft.Ecshange.Management.SustemConfigurationTasks.NewEdgeSubscripition

This is my first time setting up a MS Exchange Server, so i am bit lost with this one

Friday, February 04, 2011 5:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to run this command from the Edge server.

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

• Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Friday, February 11, 2011 6:42 AM
    Friday, February 04, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Ok got your responce thanks, for the last 6 hours I have been trying to find the edge server to run the command, everthing I find to help me with this tells me to run it from the EMS. Now I just need to figure out how to access the Edge Server, everthing on TechNet I have read so far tells me what code to enter, but not how to access the Edge Server.
    David Trout
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 1:15 AM
  • You would know if you had one!  If you did not install an Edge Transport server, then you do not need to run this command.  See here instead:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/11/17/431555.aspx

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Saturday, February 05, 2011 3:19 AM
  • That is what I thought; the page is pretty much describing my server. Single server environment, exchange loaded on the same server (no need for a edge transport) yet I cannot connect Outlook with my Exchange Server after following the article step by step. Outlook tells me that my server is not online, if I try to navigate to it with my browser I get a 403 error, so that tells me that the server is online.

I do appreciate you help with this

David Trout
    Saturday, February 05, 2011 6:01 AM
  • 403.4 is the SSL required error.  Try visiting https://server.domain.local/owa from your office.

As far as Outlook not connecting, do you have a mailbox?  Is your computer joined to a domain?  Do you have Outlook 2007 or later? 

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Monday, February 07, 2011 2:37 PM
  • I can access the Exchange server from both localy and remote with the owa function. I can telnet into the exchange server. This tells me that I have the mailbox configured and enabled. The comuter is not a part of the domain, that is proving to be a whole different battle, and I Outlook 2007 one the client running Vista, and Outlook 2007 one the other client running 7 Ulitmate.
    David Trout
    Monday, February 07, 2011 3:43 PM
  • If the computer is not part of the domain, you need to ensure autodiscover is setup, or you have to manually enter the Outlook Anywhere connection information.

See here:

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Monday, February 07, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Ok followed all that according to my event log everything inilitized. I am beginning to think this was the biggest waste of money and time I have ever spent.

David Trout
    Monday, February 07, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Since there is no reason for Outlook not to connect to Exchange, I decided to look at the Server by itself, I can not even accomplish the simple task of joining a Computer to the Domain. This is with Server side firewalls on or off. I think I need to look at the Router's firewall (which should not affect LAN side of the network) giving that I was able to connect one of my machines to Exchange using the local IP of the Server. The error I recieve when trying to join a Computer to the Domain is "that the network path was not found".
    David Trout
    Tuesday, February 08, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Ok followed all that according to my event log everything inilitized. I am beginning to think this was the biggest waste of money and time I have ever spent.

David Trout

I can understand this is frusturating.  I'd suggest contacting Microsoft support.  They can help you get this setup.  There are lots of guides and tutorials out there, but if you're having trouble understanding what to do, I'd call for help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295539

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 2:13 AM
  • I'm running the same command from my Edge server and I'm still getting the same error,

"You can't use the FileName Parameter when running this command inside your Exchange organization."

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:47 PM
  • have you changed your computer name after the installation of exchenge edge server.

bcoz i had a same prob in my class also.

then i have chenged to the original name what i have used when the time of installing edge server.

alo check whether you have loged in as a user who is a member of organizational management group in active directory.

• Edited by Dhandapani.K Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Chrisls Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:26 AM
  • I can confirm this as well, had to rename my entire AD Domain (wanted it to be .local), which required me to backup and then uninstall THE WHOLE of Exchange before I could do the rename. Anyways when setting up my Edge Server again I had to also change the Primary DNS suffix to reflect my new domain name and came across this same error when trying to run the New-EdgeSubscription -FileName

Regards,

Chris L

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:20 AM
  • And now I cant uninstall (Edge Transport) even after using the old name for the server. I get the following error:

[09/22/2011 02:46:08.0342] [2] Active Directory session settings for 'Get-TransportAgent' are: View Entire Forest: 'True',
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0342] [2] Beginning processing get-transportagent -Identity:'Address Rewriting Outbound Agent'
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0669] [2] [ERROR] This task can only be performed on a Hub Transport server role or an Edge Transport server role.
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0872] [1] The following 1 error(s) occurred during task execution:
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0872] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord: This task can only be performed on a Hub Transport server role or an Edge Transport server role.
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0872] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Common.LocalizedException: This task can only be performed on a Hub Transport server role or an Edge Transport server role.
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0888] [1] [ERROR] The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();
              $agentName = "Address Rewriting Outbound Agent";
              $agent = get-transportagent -Identity:$agentName;
              if ($agent) {
                uninstall-transportagent -Identity:$agentName;
              };
            " was run: "This task can only be performed on a Hub Transport server role or an Edge Transport server role.".
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0888] [1] [ERROR] This task can only be performed on a Hub Transport server role or an Edge Transport server role.
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0888] [1] [ERROR-REFERENCE] Id=GatewayComponent___a8f2292a84b44dbe8c4f1fe1e51d66a7 Component=EXCHANGE14:\Current\Release\Shared\Datacenter\Setup
    [09/22/2011 02:46:08.0888] [1] Setup is stopping now because of one or more critical errors.

Anyone have any insight into this, or should I just re-image the machine?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:51 AM