none
Thunderbird setup to Exchange 2010

Question

• I am in the middel of switching everyone from Thrunerbird using Ipswitch Imap server to outlook with Exchange 2010 and when I conect to the exchange server through Thunderbird I get the following error.

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready

Monday, July 26, 2010 1:21 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you have Thunderbird misconfigured. IMAP is a incoming only protocol. In order to send email you need to use SMTP. Try changing the outgoing mail server to your smtp server/hub transport server and see if that works.

By default CAS in this case handles requests for mail from the mailbox. SMTP handles the sending of mail from the user

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. If the post wasn't the exact answer or was helpful in leading you to the answer, please vote it as helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:08 AM

All replies

• It is possible your account settings do not match the IMAP server configuration.

• Are you using domain\username?
    • are you using 143 or 995?
    • are you able to send via smtp, but not receive via imap?  neither, both?  vice versa?
    • What type of password authentication are you using?

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

• Proposed as answer by Denis1957 Monday, February 18, 2013 5:31 PM
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:56 AM
  • It sounds like you have Thunderbird misconfigured. IMAP is a incoming only protocol. In order to send email you need to use SMTP. Try changing the outgoing mail server to your smtp server/hub transport server and see if that works.

By default CAS in this case handles requests for mail from the mailbox. SMTP handles the sending of mail from the user

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. If the post wasn't the exact answer or was helpful in leading you to the answer, please vote it as helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:08 AM