none
Sharepoint 2013 Community Site Alerts RRS feed

• Question

• I have run into a strange problem within my community site and the functionality of alerts.  I have set up a community site as a subsite  of my main team site and created a discussion board for staff members.

If I or any user add an email alert for a discussion thread an email is sent to the person stating that an alert has been set up but no emails are sent to the person when changes are made.

Emails are sent to the person who created the discussion when someone replies to the discussion but no addition alert emails are sent.

I have created a test community site on its own web application and it behaves the same way.

I have also tested the alerts on libraries and announcement applications and here the alerts work fine in both the main site and the subsite.

I had looked at the uls logs but haven't seen anything that would point me in the right direction (I may need to enable more verbose logging but I am not sure what category this might fall under.

I have also monitored the network traffic with a sniffer tool and was able to catch the email to the owner of the discussion but never saw an email attempt for the alert that was added by another user.

Has anyone had experience with this or have thoughts on where I should focus my logging efforts?  

Thanks for any input   
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Lisa, Thanks again for your help.  It seems that the answer as usual was simpler than expected.

As I was trying to get alerts set for new discussions in the Community Sites using the most obvious place to set an alert (by Clicking on Page > Alert Me > Set an alert on this page) wasn't actually monitoring the discussions at all.

I found when I went into (Page > Alert Me > Manage My alerts) and chose (add an alert) I was able to choose to set an alert on the Discussion list, Categories, etc.  By setting an alert on the discussion list it would alert me anytime something new was added or updated in teh discussions.

Also If the user wanted to only follow a single discussion thread the choice to set an alert on it was in the elipses (menu) found after the discussion heading. 

So now it makes sense that I was getting an alert for everything else on this site, but not the discussion list, it was never really monitoring this list at all. 
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have done a test in my SharePoint 2013 and I can not reproduce your issue.

1. If I or any user add an email alert for a discussions list, an email is sent to the person stating that an alert has been set up and the email will be sent to the person when changes are made.

2. Emails are sent to not only the person who created the discussion but also the person who replied it when someone replies to the discussion.

For your first issue, Make sure you have checked the correct Change Type and Send Alerts for Those Changes:

For your second issue:

Make sure the user who haven't receive the email have a invaild email address and you have added the user to the Send Alerts to section.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:55 AM
  • Thanks Lisa,

I believe that I have this set up correctly. When I go to add an alert I have done as you have shown above.  This will send saying the alert is set up correctly, but when changes are made or something new is add there is nothing.  I have an announcement app that I added to the subsite to test alerts and they work as expected.  When an announcement is added an email alert is sent to say so

Thanks

Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:37 PM
  • Hi,

As you have done what I have shown above.

For your issue, I suggest you check the Immediate Alerts job for the web application and run it now.

If the issue persist, create a new community site in the announcement application which works fine, do a test again, compare the results. 

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 27, 2015 3:36 AM
  • Hi Lisa, Thanks again for your help.  It seems that the answer as usual was simpler than expected.

As I was trying to get alerts set for new discussions in the Community Sites using the most obvious place to set an alert (by Clicking on Page > Alert Me > Set an alert on this page) wasn't actually monitoring the discussions at all.

I found when I went into (Page > Alert Me > Manage My alerts) and chose (add an alert) I was able to choose to set an alert on the Discussion list, Categories, etc.  By setting an alert on the discussion list it would alert me anytime something new was added or updated in teh discussions.

Also If the user wanted to only follow a single discussion thread the choice to set an alert on it was in the elipses (menu) found after the discussion heading. 

So now it makes sense that I was getting an alert for everything else on this site, but not the discussion list, it was never really monitoring this list at all. 
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 8:15 PM