explorer.exe keeps freezing when compute is idle RRS feed

• Question

• My explorer.exe freezes when my computer is idle, causing my taskbar to freeze.  I'm running Windows 8 Pro 32 Bit.

The only fix I've found so far is to go into the task manager and restart windows explorer. That's only a temp fix because once I'm done using the computer I'll come back and the task bar is frozen again.

Monday, June 3, 2013 2:27 AM

Answers

• Just to add to ZigZag's good advice:

In the Event logs there was the following Application error:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16433, time stamp: 0x50763130
    Faulting module name: ASCPlugin_Protection.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5176191d

The ASCPlugin_Protection.dll, which caused Explorer to crash, appears to be a component of Iobit Advanced System Care so make sure the Iobit software installed is at the latest version and that it is compatible with Windows 8.

If issues continue uninstall Iobit and use alternative security software such as Windows 8 built-in antivirus (Windows Defender) and firewall.

There was also the following error from Source Kernel-Boot:

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000001.

Consider disabling "Fast Startup" and see if it helps any:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

There were also errors indicating 0x000000b8 bugchecks are occurring so it may help if you could provide the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder via Windows Live SkyDrive for analysis. 

• Edited by auggyMVP Monday, June 10, 2013 9:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, June 18, 2013 2:29 PM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Proposed as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:42 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 2:53 AM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

• Proposed as answer by Juke Chou Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:42 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Thank you for getting back to me.  A few questions.

1) Should I wait until my taskbar freezes again before doing the following steps?

2)  Once I upload the zip file to skydrive, how do I give it to you to look at?

Friday, June 7, 2013 3:24 AM
  • Andrew

1- you can do it now.  The prior times when it froze will be listed.

2-You "get a link" from skydrive (see wiki instructions)

Link for how to  upload below.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

Friday, June 7, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Thank You for getting back to me I believe I got this now.

Here is my Shared Link.  https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B416E961E8F71FB6!449

Let me know if you were able to view this.  Thanks again.

Sunday, June 9, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Andrew

It is HD related.  see snip  I would also disable/remove bit-locker

https://gtipjg.blu.livefilestore.com/y2poS3GTUw5XTFPXT4zplwFGRmJpfuzLGTWYgdqSgYAz-5qiOdAitIKVG-oRXYjLOdbIwLyIO4kWLyxS8k2bZa-W3s_kL_KEIsxn-RNosd9AmrDRHjlmX61JFPU8lboge9K/hd.jpg?psid=1

Monday, June 10, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. Is there a fix or setting to fix this then? I assume disable/remove BitLocker won't fix it right?
    Monday, June 10, 2013 4:33 AM
  • You should start with re-installing the newest driver and running CHKDSK/f/r

A- CHKDSK /R /F:

Chkdsk disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found  when chkdsk tries to repair that sector  any data available on that sector might be lost.

Run CHKDSK /R /F from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt.
    Do this for each hard drive on your system.
    When it tells you it can't do it right now - and asks you if you'd like to do it at the next reboot - answer Y (for Yes) and press Enter.

Then reboot and let the test run.
    It may take a while for it to run, but keep an occasional eye on it to see if it generates any errors.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

See "CHKDSK LogFile" below in order to check the results of the test.

B- Elevated Command Prompt:
    Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)
    At the top of the Search Box, right click on Cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"

C-CHKDSK LogFile:

Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
    Double click on the Source column header.
    Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).
    Copy/paste the results into your next post. 

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Just to add to ZigZag's good advice:

In the Event logs there was the following Application error:

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16433, time stamp: 0x50763130
    Faulting module name: ASCPlugin_Protection.dll_unloaded, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5176191d

The ASCPlugin_Protection.dll, which caused Explorer to crash, appears to be a component of Iobit Advanced System Care so make sure the Iobit software installed is at the latest version and that it is compatible with Windows 8.

If issues continue uninstall Iobit and use alternative security software such as Windows 8 built-in antivirus (Windows Defender) and firewall.

There was also the following error from Source Kernel-Boot:

Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000001.

Consider disabling "Fast Startup" and see if it helps any:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

There were also errors indicating 0x000000b8 bugchecks are occurring so it may help if you could provide the minidump files in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder via Windows Live SkyDrive for analysis. 

• Edited by auggyMVP Monday, June 10, 2013 9:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:37 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2013 9:41 PM
  • I thank you both for the help.  What I'm going to do it just uninstall Advance System Care for a few days and see what happens.  Then install it again and if the problem returns I will no longer use the product.  I'm also going to turn on Fast Boot.  So I'll post again in a few days and let you know what I find out.  Thanks again to both of you.
    Monday, June 10, 2013 10:52 PM
  • Here's an update.  It's Thursday and ever since I removed Advance System Care no issues with my Taskbar freezing.  So I'm going to reinstall Advance System Care to see if it was just a bad install or if it will continually crash explorer.exe.  Thanks again for all your help.  
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:18 PM
  • My taskbar froze again today.  I didn't even download Advance System Care Yet.

Here is the new Error logs https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B416E961E8F71FB6!451

Saturday, June 15, 2013 6:07 PM
  • One of the errors is the following:

taskhostex (5284) The database cache size maintenance task has taken 60 seconds without completing. This may result in severe performance degradation

Can you open the Task Manager and click on "Details" and then click on "PID"

What process has the PID 5284 ?

Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:30 PM
  • I currently don't have anything listed as 5284.  The only Pid I have that's in the 5200 is tunderbird.exe but that is 5268.  Should I wait until it freezes again and see if it will show up again?
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:59 PM
  •  Should I wait until it freezes again and see if it will show up again?

Yes, give that a try.

Also, check what is logged in the Event Viewer at the exact time of the freezing.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:13 AM
  • I currently don't have anything listed as 5284. 

I suspect the idea is to use that number as a placeholder for your message pattern.   So, if you see the same message with a new number in it, you would follow the instructions to find out what the Task name was for that (probably different) number (AKA PID).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:56 PM