none
High CPU Usage Running PS Scripts on Windows Server 2016 after applying KB4556813 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We patched one Windows Server 2016 Standard edition with KB4556813 and after this patch, all of our PowerShell scripts running on this server started generating 100% CPU usage.

Basically, this server is a monitoring satellite ( Icinga2 service) which is running couple of hundred PS scripts with PS Remote. It is checking some specific values on the remote Windows servers and is reporting back to our monitoring their status. 

Prior to this update and now after removing KB4556813 all scripts are running fine, with low to none CPU usage. 

For example, below is how one script is started and we can see it got killed after not responding for 60 seconds:

[2020-06-30 14:33:00 +0200] warning/Process: Killing process group 1216 
    ('C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command "& C:\ProgramData\icinga2\var\lib\icinga2\api\zones\global-windows\_etc\plugins\PS1\check_sepm_av.ps1" 
    -credential DOMAIN\svc_user__monitoring%thepasswordfortheuser= -target MY-SERVER-PRODUCTION') after timeout of 60 seconds

PS. I understand that icinga2 is not a Microsoft product, but what it does is the same as Task Scheduler would do.

Anyone any ideas ? Thank you in advance!

Mario Patov

• Edited by Mario Patov Thursday, July 2, 2020 11:46 AM typo
    Thursday, July 2, 2020 10:06 AM

All replies

• I would recommend you to stop the CPU monitoring on your windows server 2016 and then check the status. After you shut down the CPU monitoring process then some of the processdes running in the backfground forcefully shut down.

Try to reboot your windows virtual server after 30 mins and your High usage will come back to normal.

I hope this helps you

Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:58 PM
  • Thanks Akshay! That` actually helps, but the issue is that we can`t apply this every time we restart the server or when adding +100 PS scripts to run. 

The other solution I just found is to just limit the total number of PS Scripts started at once by the scheduler (icinga2).

Unfortunately, limiting the number of scripts doesn`t give us the answer how this is related to the Windows 2016 server  KB4556813 

Mario Patov

Thursday, July 2, 2020 1:29 PM
  • For patch problems please contact Microsoft support.  Any patch induced problem will be addressed for no charge or that is always how it has been.  The support people will let you know.  Be sure to tell them that this issue has an impact on a production system.  They will not support lab systems issues with patches for free or they never used to. They also won't address home systems.  

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, July 2, 2020 10:37 PM
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, so here is a quick question.Was your issue resolved? 
    If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,
    Yang Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 1:58 AM