none
Windows 10 Boot Menu Icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I installed a second hard disk with 2 Windows installations (2 partitions with a Windows installation each) on a new computer and I added these installations to the Boot Menu using BCDBoot.

But the icons of these 2 installations on the Boot Menu are standard icons for an EXE file, not the Windows Logo like the default installation. Seems that Windows doesn't recognize that the Operating Systems are Windows.

It's possibile to use BCDEdit to change the icon of these boot entries?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• The two Windows installation in question, do they boot if selected from the boot menu?

Also are you sure that you added the installations from within the main/default installation? What's the drive letters for the two installations?

Obinna C. Onwusobalu ~ MCSA MCTS MCITP

It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.

windowshelper.home.blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:39 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

Yes, the 2 additional installations boots with no problem. I added them with BCDBoot.

Maybe it's possibile to change the "type" of the Boot Entry: I see that BCDEdit can change the "application" parameter of a Boot Entry, but I find very little documentation about this parameter.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:32 PM
  • Adding Windows installation to the boot menu using the BCDboot is fairly a straight-forward process. I haven't before run into any issue.

One more thing I might add is, the 2 additional installation should be an exFAT volume and not NTFS.

Obinna C. Onwusobalu ~ MCSA MCTS MCITP

It's all fun and games until someone divides by zero.

windowshelper.home.blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:10 PM
  • Yes, the installations were simple and I can boot without problem. Only the icon is strange: it's not the Windows Logo.

The file system is NTFS.

These installations are on a second hard disk. And there is also a third partition with Windows XP. The XP partition doesn't boot, but I don't think that the XP installation creates problems with the boot icons...

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 10:41 PM
  • Hi

Try the following methods:

1. Create a shortcut to the executable you want to customize if you do not already have one. Right click on the executable file and select "Create shortcut" in the pop-up window.

2. Right click on the shortcut file and select "Properties."

3. Click on the "Shortcut" tab in the pop-up window if it is not already shown by default. Click the "Change Icon..." button at the bottom of the window.

4. Click the "Browse" button in top of the "Change Icon" window and navigate to the ICO (icon) file you want to use as your custom icon. Click "Open" or "OK" when you have selected your icon file.

5. Click "OK" at the bottom of the "Change Icon" window.

6. Click "OK" at the bottom of the "Properties" window. Your shortcut now displays your custom icon.

Besides, you can refer to the following link for more help:

How to Modify the Icon of an EXE File

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope can help you.

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion, but this problem is not related to the icon of an EXE file :D

I'm referring to the icon that is shown during the boot of a computer where there are installed multiple operating systems. It's the boot menu where you can choose what operating system to boot. I have three Windows installation but only one has the Windows Logo.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

We checked the relevant information and found that BCDEdit has no function to change the windows boot entry icon. There are no related records in the official documentation of BCDEdit. You can refer to the following link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/editing-boot-options

Besides, We found a post on the Internet that users have the same needs, but no one has given a solution,more details please refer to the following link:

https://superuser.com/questions/1195986/can-i-change-the-icon-of-a-windows-boot-entry

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope can help you.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:05 AM
  • Thank you very much for your answer!
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:28 AM
  • Hi,

You are welcome! I am very glad to hear that this problem has been solved. Thank you for sharing. 

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:08 AM