none
Configuration of the metered connection features

Question

• Hi

As a metered connection via Ethernet or via wireless disables or limits some features of Windows 10 Home v1607, it is possible to configure some of this functionality so that they work in a standard way?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Thursday, September 1, 2016 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Balubeto Balubeto,

Metered feature is available for wifi connection but I am afraid it is not available for ethernet connection.
    Metered Internet connections: FAQ
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/17452/windows-metered-internet-connections-faq

• Windows Update will only download priority updates.
    • Apps downloading from the Windows Store might be paused.           
    •Start screen tiles might stop updating.
    •Offline files might not sync automatically.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 2, 2016 3:11 AM
  • Hi Balubeto Balubeto,

Metered feature is available for wifi connection but I am afraid it is not available for ethernet connection.
    Metered Internet connections: FAQ
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/17452/windows-metered-internet-connections-faq

• Windows Update will only download priority updates.
    • Apps downloading from the Windows Store might be paused.           
    •Start screen tiles might stop updating.
    •Offline files might not sync automatically.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Having read also this link http://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/ , I deduced that a metered connections cause other effects as described in the paragraph "What Setting on Connection as Metered Does".

Now, I wanted to know if it is possible to configure all the connections of this type avoiding the effects described by these points "Tiles may not update" and "Other apps may behave differently".

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Friday, September 2, 2016 9:45 AM
  • I'm still waiting for your answer.

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:34 PM
  • Hi Balubeto Balubeto,

The link you have posted is a third party article and it includes a hack method to modify the registry key. It is not recommended to modify the registry key, it may result in un-expected behavior.
    For the official method, only wireless connection could be configured as "Metered".

Best regards

Friday, September 9, 2016 8:01 AM
  • Hi Balubeto Balubeto,

The link you have posted is a third party article and it includes a hack method to modify the registry key. It is not recommended to modify the registry key, it may result in un-expected behavior.
    For the official method, only wireless connection could be configured as "Metered".

Best regards

Apparently, these overwritten effects also afflict the metered wireless connections. I am wrong? If not, how do I avoid these effects on each wireless connection of this type?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:37 PM