none
Preparing to start Outlook for first use everytime at startup

Question

• We just migrated to Exchange 07, with the exception of 2 users all mail clients are Outlook03 and the other two 07. With almost all the bugs worked out of the Echange swap, now I'm noticing several users everytime they start their computer and open Outlook it says "Preparing to start Outlook for first use" and creates a new ost. It is happening with the other instance of Outlook 07, me being one but am fine not running in cached mode, and a few other Outlook 03 clients. I suspect it is happening more than I'm aware of, but it eats up HD space creating new ost's everyday as well as delyaing people from starting while Outlook syncs up.

I've tried deleting and recreating profiles, uninstalling reinstalling Office and am not sure where else to go. I'm really hoping it's something server side so I don't have to go around to each workstation, especially our remote users.

Any help or thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Monday, September 29, 2008 1:40 PM

Answers

• Think I got it. The company that did the E2K7 swap for us inserted a line in all our scripts, profupdt /contoso, which I guess was to point Outlook profiles to the new server but was also telling Outlook to create a new profile. Something like that, I can't find anything on what profupdt actually is or does, but taking it out of the scripts and tests seem good.

I think the company opened an incident with MS which instructed them to do this.

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:42 PM

All replies

• Anybody? It's looking like everybody running in cached mode is most likely experiencing this.

Friday, October 03, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Think I got it. The company that did the E2K7 swap for us inserted a line in all our scripts, profupdt /contoso, which I guess was to point Outlook profiles to the new server but was also telling Outlook to create a new profile. Something like that, I can't find anything on what profupdt actually is or does, but taking it out of the scripts and tests seem good.

I think the company opened an incident with MS which instructed them to do this.

Friday, October 03, 2008 3:42 PM