File association registry settings for custom exe application RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, I have created an application to view photos in windows 10. It comes as an exe file. I am looking at registry settings to do the following:

a.) Make my app show up as an option for Photos in the "Default Apps" window in the Settings app on windows 10.

b.) Register file associations for my app for jpeg, svg, png e.t.c and other photo formats. 

c.) When a user right clicks on a compatible filetype for example png, and selects "Open With", I would like my app to show up as an option

d.) If the instructions for this can be made available for NSIS installer script, I would be very grateful

Any help would be appreciated. 

Many Thanks.

• Edited by daibatzu Saturday, July 25, 2020 10:46 PM
    Saturday, July 25, 2020 10:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding script issue, I suggest you refer to experts from the following forum to get professional support:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

In addition, you could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

This "Windows 10 Application Compatibility" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best Regards,

Sunny

"Windows 10 Application Compatibility" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Application Compatibility"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.  
    • Edited by Sunny Qi 2020 Monday, July 27, 2020 10:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by daibatzu Saturday, August 1, 2020 3:53 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2020 10:14 AM

All replies

• a): Registering an Application for Use with Default Programs 
    Although the "important" box for the article seems to indicate otherwise: the keys for registering to the defaults selection are still the same on Windows 10, just that changing the default program itself only be done by user interaction.

b) and c): File Types
    Sunday, July 26, 2020 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding script issue, I suggest you refer to experts from the following forum to get professional support:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/home?forum=ITCG

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

In addition, you could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

This "Windows 10 Application Compatibility" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best Regards,

Sunny

"Windows 10 Application Compatibility" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Application Compatibility"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.  
    • Edited by Sunny Qi 2020 Monday, July 27, 2020 10:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by daibatzu Saturday, August 1, 2020 3:53 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2020 10:14 AM
  • Hi,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

Best Regards,

Sunny

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, July 30, 2020 6:10 AM
  • Thanks a lot Sunny. This works. Went to an off-grid retreat for a while so couldn't reply.
    Saturday, August 1, 2020 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that the provided information was helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Sunny

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, August 3, 2020 7:27 AM