Unable to uninstall appv package due to Explorer.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I am using APPV 5.1

I need to uninstall APPV package from more than 1000 users. However the appv application is showing in use. It is in use by explorer.exe.

With Stop-AppvClientPackage it shows that it has stopped , however in reality it does not stop the virtual process.

I had wanted to know the reasons for Appv holding explorer.exe and how to find which file is holding it?

Can appv package be removed without killing explorer.exe?

Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:41 AM

All replies

• It's probably through a Shell Extention (most likely rightclick) which keeps the appv package open. So it will be explorer.exe, and no other executable. 

How are you deploying this package? If you use app-v native infra, a sync should take place at logon (if you enabled it by GPO), and the app-v package should not be in use yet.

You can run the following PoSH code to have a look at all running virtualized processes:

(Get-AppvVirtualProcess).AppvPackageData

You can always run the following code to stop virtual processes (I ever use stop-appvclientpackage, because its slow):

Get-AppvVirtualProcess | Stop-Process -Force

Roy Essers

• Edited by Roy Essers Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:27 AM
    Sunday, June 7, 2020 9:25 AM
  • We are using SCCM to deploy APPV application.

and even if we deploy the application manually using powershell commands it is still holding the explorer

Friday, June 19, 2020 3:26 PM