Limit amount of data on first import RRS feed

• Question

• I am experimenting a bit with PowerPivot Denali CTP3 and one of the things that I seem to miss or can't find is a simple way to limit the amount of data to import into the model at first import. In my case I have a huge (3 million rows) table plus a few smaller ones (a few thousands rows) and PowerPivot simply tries to import all rows and that takes a few moments and in this case not really necessary for the building of the PowerPivot model. Of course I can write custom SQL or filter on some data to limit the row count but it would be more userfriendly if I could simply apply a more generic filter “limit to X rows” and if possible a “sort on columnX” (ie a select TOP X * from HugeTable order by ColumnX).

Am I blind or is this a feature request?
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Joakim N,

This can be achieved as below:

• Click on import from data source and configure the window to use a SQL query. This will import one table at a time
    • Now finish the wizard and you end up with one table object in your new tabular model
    • Now click on Existing connections and edit the existing connection
    • Click on open and compose a new custom SQL query

The drawback of this approach is that you will have to repeat this process multiple times. 

Please vote the answer as helpful, or mark as answer

Cheers, Raunak Jhawar | t:@raunakjhawar
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:21 AM
  • I create a partition on the table, in Powerpivot, which contains a query with the WHERE clause that filters, usually on date. So while I am developing, I only have 1 years worth of data...

After deployment, I go to SSMS, and connect to the BISM model, and add additional partitions to import the remaining data... This only works ( I suspect) when building using Visual Studio however.

Distinguished Architect - Mariner htt://www.mariner-usa.com
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:26 PM