none
Why is Outlook Anywhere fails to log in?

Question

• Hi

I have hit a wall with Outlook Anywhere. For some reason, it will simply not work. I have checked the virtual directory authentication and SSL requirements for each directory and it all looks good.

I have followed every article including disabling IPv6 but when I try, outlook fails to login and I keep getting prompted for a password. OWA works fine.

Just to give an idea of the configuration, we are using a pair of Citrix Netscaler load balancers in the DMZ to pass through (not offload SSL) that then connect direct to 3 CAS/HT servers on the internal LAN. Exchange 2010 SP1 RU5.

Can someone please send me the exact IIS and Exchange settings required to get Outlook Anywhere working? It's driving me mad, loads of people do it, so it must work!

Cheers

Kev

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Kev,

The error you received might be caused by the firewall. Please check the authentication on your network and make sure the Anonymous is disabled.

Besides, I'd suggest you check the Outlook connection in your LAN. To do this, follow the steps below:

change the local host file and point the URL to the internal IP address of your proxy server; than enable "on fast networks, …” like the picture below:

If the Outlook Anywhere connects successfully, then your Outlook Anywhere is setup correctly. The issue is caused by the firewall related configuration.

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:19 AM

All replies

• choose outlook anywhere and start the test

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Hve you checked here?:

https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Ran ExBpa against the server?

Installed the OA components on the CAS?

Anything in the event logs?

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:41 PM
  • I have and the fail is as below:

Testing HTTP Authentication Methods for URL https://webmail.viterra.com/rpc/rpcproxy.dll.
    The HTTP authentication test failed.
    <label for="testSelectWizard_ctl12_ctl06_ctl06_tmmArrow">Tell me more about this issue and how to resolve it</label>
    Additional Details
    The Initial Anonymous HTTPS request didn't fail, but Anonymous isn't a supported authentication method for this scenario.

The odd thing is that "Anonymous" is not allowed on the rpc virtual directory!

I have checked the logs and found no errors, I have not yet invoked diagnostic logging, I will.

I've also to re-run the ExBPA, I will also try that again, but the first run didn't show any issues indicating a problem with OA.

Very confused!

Cheers

Kev

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Can you bypass the load balancers to rule them out? That is where I would start to begin with. Just open the port directly to the Internet, run the test and see whether it works.

You can also test it internally using test-outlookconnectivity. When it prompts for the protocol, enter http.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Hi Kev,

The error you received might be caused by the firewall. Please check the authentication on your network and make sure the Anonymous is disabled.

Besides, I'd suggest you check the Outlook connection in your LAN. To do this, follow the steps below:

change the local host file and point the URL to the internal IP address of your proxy server; than enable "on fast networks, …” like the picture below:

If the Outlook Anywhere connects successfully, then your Outlook Anywhere is setup correctly. The issue is caused by the firewall related configuration.

Hope it is helpful.

Fiona
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:19 AM