Thousands of *.tmp files Filling Up Temp Folder RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting thousands of *.tmp files filling up my C:\windows\temp folder. All the files are held open by the store.exe (I checked this using Process Explorer as suggested in another post) and cannot be deleted until the Information Store service is restarted. By the end of the week there are over 30,000 of these blighters. It looks like there is one for every single email sent on the server. Because the store.exe process is keeping the files open until it is restarted more and more memory is being used up which sometimes leaves the server unable to carry out other processes like backups due to insufficient memory.

This issue has been going for some weeks and I have basically just been firefighting it by scheduling a restart of the server followed by a deletion of the tmp files but I need to get to the bottom of it.

Can anyone help. I'm running Exchange 2007 SP3 Rollup 3-v2 on Win 2k3 64-bit standard edition.

Hibs Ya Bass!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Are you running any file-level AV on the server?

[string](0..33|%{[char][int](46+("686552495351636652556262185355647068516270555358646562655775 0645570").substring(($_*2),2))})-replace " "
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:44 AM
  • Yeah, but I have been for years without issue. I've also set up scanning exclusions on all the normal places. I even stopped the AV service for a day or so but the tmp files kept filling up.
    Hibs Ya Bass!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:58 AM
  • Hi
       I remember that we talked about this topic on May 26.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/f59f8bcc-f637-44ba-bceb-2aa81271ecdb/
       Your configuration of your server is correct.
       Then I check store.exe and find one similar case.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/c175e70d-e9bb-4b71-a65d-ead75f4e6e03/

Please pay attention to my colleagues Frank’s saying.
        If this is a Mailbox server, temp files can be created and deleted by store.exe automatically, there can be situation where these files are not deleting and are consuming disk space and one of the reasons would be anti virus and backup.
       Can you check backup software and backup system expect this folder?

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:10 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:28 AM
  • Hi
       I remember that we talked about this topic on May 26.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvradmin/thread/f59f8bcc-f637-44ba-bceb-2aa81271ecdb/
       Your configuration of your server is correct.
       Then I check store.exe and find one similar case.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/c175e70d-e9bb-4b71-a65d-ead75f4e6e03/

Please pay attention to my colleagues Frank’s saying.
        If this is a Mailbox server, temp files can be created and deleted by store.exe automatically, there can be situation where these files are not deleting and are consuming disk space and one of the reasons would be anti virus and backup.
       Can you check backup software and backup system expect this folder?

Yeah, I read that post at the time and it didn't help. We do have an AV client on the exchange box and have had for years without issue but as I said in the OP i have set up exclusions in all the right places anyway. I even turned off AV but the files are still being created.

We don't have a backup agent on the box as such but we do have acronis installed for taking scheduled disk images but again that has been installed for years without issue.

We also have many mobile phones using the exchange box via ActiveSync.

Hibs Ya Bass!
    • Edited by broonster27 Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:27 PM
  • It wasn't AV software but it was a 3rd party app causing the issue after all. We are running an Nemx service to add footers to outgoing emails and this was the culprit. I wasn't aware the software had even been installed.
    Hibs Ya Bass!
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:09 AM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:06 AM