Why do all my backup copies disappear when the disk reaches capacity? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Server 2016 running Exchange 2016.  Windows Server Backup does a Full backup every night.

I check the backups every Thursday.  Last week it had 20-copies and this week it has 1-copy.  This has happened 3-times now.  It resets back to one instead of deleting older copies to make room.

What's going on?

Thank you in advance!

Thursday, October 31, 2019 4:25 PM

Answers

• I have been monitoring this for months now on several servers and no one has been able to explain it so I consider it a bug.

Specifically, WSB on a server will successfully delete old backups for months to make space for new backups.  Then, without any error, delete all of them and start all over again.  So far, I have only seen it happen on servers running Exchange.

Thankfully, I only use WSB on Exchange for near-line backups so, although they will save recovery time, they are not critical.

• Marked as answer by The Victim Monday, July 20, 2020 7:15 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2020 7:15 PM

All replies

• Check your backup settings. publish here your backup settings. 

Check retain settings.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/manage/manage-client-computer-backup-in-windows-server-essentials

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1.Is every backup task successful?

2.Please run "vssadmin list shadows" and show your result in here.

3.As Udara said, you can publish here your back settings, so that we can get more information.

Best Regards,

Daniel 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Friday, November 1, 2019 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

1.Is every backup task successful?

2.Please run "vssadmin list shadows" and show your result in here.

3.As Udara said, you can publish here your back settings, so that we can get more information.

Best Regards,

Daniel 

Thank you for your reply.

1. Every backup is successful

2. Actual server name replaced with server.domain.com for security:

Contents of shadow copy set ID: {3564b0be-0d7a-4f68-a436-cc02c0d7e5d4}
       Contained 1 shadow copies at creation time: 10/31/2019 5:36:06 AM
          Shadow Copy ID: {eadae4b9-b72f-4882-9014-a1e3dced7eab}
             Original Volume: (\\?\Volume{b226b77a-e7b5-4782-8926-171ee4f2570a}\)\\?\Volume{b226b77a-e7b5-4782-8926-171ee4f2570a}\
             Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy75
             Originating Machine: server.domain.local
             Service Machine: server.domain.local
             Provider: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
             Type: DataVolumeRollback
             Attributes: Persistent, No auto release, No writers, Differential

Contents of shadow copy set ID: {2c0c5150-d0ed-4411-9027-d44fa6c3c8bf}
       Contained 1 shadow copies at creation time: 11/1/2019 5:33:32 AM
          Shadow Copy ID: {cef2c57b-5310-4af7-bb49-8589dad980f6}
             Original Volume: (\\?\Volume{b226b77a-e7b5-4782-8926-171ee4f2570a}\)\\?\Volume{b226b77a-e7b5-4782-8926-171ee4f2570a}\
             Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy85
             Originating Machine: server.domain.local
             Service Machine: server.domain.local
             Provider: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
             Type: DataVolumeRollback
             Attributes: Persistent, No auto release, No writers, Differential

3. Runs daily at 4AM, full backup, entire server (bare metal) to dedicated, internal hard drive.  If you need more information, please specify exactly what you need.

Friday, November 1, 2019 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

I am sorry for delay reply.

Have you set deduplicate for your backup drive? please help me run the following commands and publish your result in here:

1. Get-DedupSchedule

2. Get-DedupVolume

3. Get-DedupStatus

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 8:20 AM
  • Here's what happens when I execute the commands running Powershell as Administrator:

Get-DedupSchedule : The term 'Get-DedupSchedule' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
    again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-DedupSchedule
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-DedupSchedule:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Get-DedupVolume : The term 'Get-DedupVolume' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
    again.
    + Get-DedupVolume
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-DedupVolume:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Get-DedupStatus : The term 'Get-DedupStatus' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
    again.
    + Get-DedupStatus
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-DedupStatus:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 3:11 PM
  • It looks like you didn't enable deduplication for your drive.

oh, it is so strange!

>>This has happened 3-times now.  

Have you find some regular from these three times.

In principle, it should not delete all shadow copies,can you find some info from event viewer?

Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Not strange to me because none of the WSB servers I manage support these commands, which I am running as Administrator in PowerShell.  They are all Server 2016 Standard and I manually install all important updates at the end of every month so they are up to date.

In summary:

WSB on the non-Exchange servers always removes the oldest copies when the disk is full or when it reaches 512 copies.  It never deletes all copies and starts over.

WSB on the Exchange servers always deletes all copies and starts over again when the disk reaches capacity.  Each server has less than 100GB total data to backup and the dedicated destination disks are 1TB so WSB should be able to keep at least 10 copies.

Perhaps it is a matter of how WSB manages Exchange data.

Any more ideas on how I can investigate or resolve this problem?

Thursday, November 7, 2019 5:15 PM
  • Try to delete all the shadow copies and then see if this issue will happen again.

Friday, November 8, 2019 9:05 AM
  • How do I delete all shadow copies?
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:45 PM
  • I have been monitoring this for months now on several servers and no one has been able to explain it so I consider it a bug.

Specifically, WSB on a server will successfully delete old backups for months to make space for new backups.  Then, without any error, delete all of them and start all over again.  So far, I have only seen it happen on servers running Exchange.

Thankfully, I only use WSB on Exchange for near-line backups so, although they will save recovery time, they are not critical.

• Marked as answer by The Victim Monday, July 20, 2020 7:15 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2020 7:15 PM