none
OS Updates for a server running Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I'm looking for a step-by-step/best practices guide on how to install Windows Server updates (i.e., window server security and servicing stack updates) that has Exchange 2010 installed.  I'm not looking to update Exchange, but just the server OS. 

I inherited this Windows Server 2008 that has a year's worth of OS updates waiting to install (which will require multiple reboots) and I'm worried about hosing the mail database.  Is the process simply stopping/disabling the Exchange services first, install all of the Windows Server OS updates, reboot, and then bring Exchange back online?

Thanks,

Dave  

• Edited by DEnsminger Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hello.

1. Please check status Exchange last backup.

If you have DAG Cluster, move all DB copy to another node and Windows Cluster Resource to another node.

2. Run Windows OS Update. 

3. Reboot.

4. Run Windows OS, wait 15-30 min run Windows Update again.

5. Reboot.

6. Check Windows and Exchange Services.

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:11 PM

All replies

• Hello.

1. Please check status Exchange last backup.

If you have DAG Cluster, move all DB copy to another node and Windows Cluster Resource to another node.

2. Run Windows OS Update. 

3. Reboot.

4. Run Windows OS, wait 15-30 min run Windows Update again.

5. Reboot.

6. Check Windows and Exchange Services.

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 9:11 PM
  • Hi,

I am writing here to confirm with you how the thing going now?

If you need further help, please provide more detailed information, so that we can give more appropriate suggestions.

Regards,

Beverly Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:15 AM