Move Lync from One server to Another RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Lync Standard server in production that is working just fine.  We are moving all servers to rackspace private cloud and need to Migrate the Lync server there.  I have been looking high and low on how to do this but find nothing.  Is this even possible? I have tried deploying on the other end as another standard server but can't publish it because it sees the current one as the default.  Is my only solution to uninstall and decommission the current Lync and then do a new install on my rackspace site.  I was sort of hoping to just do a sort of swing migration, but f I have to bring it down I will. 

Thanks 

Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Of' course there is a migration path.

You can add new SE server to the topology builder (not a new topology), publish the new topology, install the second SE then finally migrate the users from SE1 pool to the new SE2 Pool.

Best Regards, Hany Taha | UC/Voice Infrastructure Consultant | Technical Consultancy Services | Nile.Com | Mobile: +20 (10) 01686836
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Friday, January 6, 2012 1:24 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:00 PM
  • If all the servers moved to rackspace private cloud are in the same forest or domain with lync server, you can migrate the lync server to them.

The process is as your deploy Lync Server 2010 Standard Edition into an Existing Lync Server 2010 Enterprise:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398112.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Of' course there is a migration path.

You can add new SE server to the topology builder (not a new topology), publish the new topology, install the second SE then finally migrate the users from SE1 pool to the new SE2 Pool.

Best Regards, Hany Taha | UC/Voice Infrastructure Consultant | Technical Consultancy Services | Nile.Com | Mobile: +20 (10) 01686836
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:00 PM
  • If all the servers moved to rackspace private cloud are in the same forest or domain with lync server, you can migrate the lync server to them.

The process is as your deploy Lync Server 2010 Standard Edition into an Existing Lync Server 2010 Enterprise:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398112.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:51 AM