none
Managing Distribution Groups in 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm migrating users from OUtlook 2003 and 2007 into a new 2010 Exchange Server, and gradually onto 2010 Clients.

My managers used to update their email distribution lists via the Outlook Address book, adding/removing people.

In 2010 I can now see that people can sign-up via the OWA interface (options), and that that can be moderated, but has that removed the functionality from within Outlook (even 2010) ?

At the moment if a manager of a DL tried to modify a list from within outlook, they get Permission errors:

'Changes to the public group membership cannot be saved. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object.'

This is even with that manager being in the "Managed By" list for that DL.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 2:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:50 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I've run the script and confirmed the roles been added to the Default Role Assignment policy.

Do I have to wait for some caching to take effect before my Outlook client should be able to change group memberships ?

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:53 PM
  • Hmmm..

Ok.. so I ran that script.. and I can see the new role, and I can see its assigned to the Default Role policy, and I can see that my account is setup to use that policy.

But I still get this error when I try to modify a group via outlook.

The groups been upgraded to a Mail-NonUniversal group in 2010.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Hmmm..

Ok.. so I ran that script.. and I can see the new role, and I can see its assigned to the Default Role policy, and I can see that my account is setup to use that policy.

But I still get this error when I try to modify a group via outlook.

The groups been upgraded to a Mail-NonUniversal group in 2010.

Change the group to a universal.
    Sukh
    • Proposed as answer by Sophia Xu Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:50 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:56 PM