Deleting appointment without permission in Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• We are running an Outlook 2010 / Exchange 2010 / Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit) environment.

The users have these rights to the room calendars:
    {ReadItems, EditOwnedItems, DeleteOwnedItems, FolderVisible}

One user deletes one appointment which he does not own, from the room calendar in Outlook. Since he does not have the right to this, I expect an error message. This does not happen. He gets a question about sending a notification, which he does. The appointment disappears from the room calendar. The owner of the appointment receives a cancelation. After a few minutes the appointment is back in the room calendar.

I have also tested in OWA. Here I get the expected message about not sufficient rights to delete the appointment.

I assume the Exchange logic overrides the Outlook logic, but deletion in Outlook should not have been possible at all in Outlook.

Does anybody have a solution?

Thursday, June 9, 2011 8:00 AM

Answers

• There is not a standard settings for the shared folders. By default, the shared folders are also use the Cached mode for the purpose of enhancing the Outlook performance, just like the picture below.

Please take a test in Outlook online mode to see if the issue can be fixed; and also take a test after unmarking “Download Shared folders” to see if there is a performance issue.

Since the meeting was not deleted, I guess we can safely ignore this issue.

BTW, a user who does not own a meeting, should not be supposed to be able to delete it. And, the recommended method to delete a meeting item, is that update it by the meeting organizer, select “Cancel Meeting” and then select “Send Update”. Doing so could notice all attendees. For more, see

Outlook meeting requests: Essential do’s and don’ts

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/outlook-meeting-requests-essential-dos-and-donts-HA001127678.aspx

Hope it is useful.

-Fiona

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, June 13, 2011 2:37 AM

All replies

• If it is impossible in OWA, that means the permission is setup correctly.

I am suspecting the Outlook client is running in Cached mode, and open the room calendar via Shared calendar, and the operation is offline.

-Fiona

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Yes, all clients are running in Cached mode, which is a requirement. Either shared calendars should not be cached, or the security settings of shared folders should also be cached.

Is there a solution to this?

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:10 AM
  • There is not a standard settings for the shared folders. By default, the shared folders are also use the Cached mode for the purpose of enhancing the Outlook performance, just like the picture below.

Please take a test in Outlook online mode to see if the issue can be fixed; and also take a test after unmarking “Download Shared folders” to see if there is a performance issue.

Since the meeting was not deleted, I guess we can safely ignore this issue.

BTW, a user who does not own a meeting, should not be supposed to be able to delete it. And, the recommended method to delete a meeting item, is that update it by the meeting organizer, select “Cancel Meeting” and then select “Send Update”. Doing so could notice all attendees. For more, see

Outlook meeting requests: Essential do’s and don’ts

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/outlook-meeting-requests-essential-dos-and-donts-HA001127678.aspx

Hope it is useful.

-Fiona

Monday, June 13, 2011 2:37 AM