none
Only one address book is available offline RRS feed

• Question

• To be honest, I don't know whether this is an Exchange or Outlook issue.  I figure it best to ask here as you server guys are smarter :-)

Environment is Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 (SP1 RU5).

In Exchange I have a Default Offline Address Book configured for web distribution.  A number of Address Lists are included in the Default OAB, e.g. All Users, All Groups, All Contacts.  The option to include the default Global Address List is also selected.

When I go to an Outlook 2010 client and download the OAB manually (Send/Receive->Send/Receive Group->Download Address Book) I see a choice of my Adddress Books as expected, e.g. Global Address List, All Users, All Groups, All Contacts. Whichever one I choose then becomes the default when opening the Outlook Address Book and is the only one available offline. 

For example, if I choose to download the All Users address book it completes successfully.  If I then unplug my network connection and try to view All Users it works fine (i.e. it is available offline).  However, If I then while still offline select the Global Address List (or any of the other address lists) I get a message stating that I must be online to display it.

I would expect all address books/lists that I have selected in Exchange to be included in the Offline Address Book to be available when offline.  This seems not to be case.

Is this expected behaviour?

Alexei

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:01 AM

Answers

• Is this expected behaviour?

Alexei

Yes, this is the expected behavior. Outlook can only download a single address book for OAB usage, and if you configure an OAB with more than one AL in it, Outlook just picks one.

Program Manager, Exchange Customer Advisory Team
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCTS: Win Server 2008 AD, Configuration MCTS: Win Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:34 AM

All replies

• Is this expected behaviour?

Alexei

Yes, this is the expected behavior. Outlook can only download a single address book for OAB usage, and if you configure an OAB with more than one AL in it, Outlook just picks one.

Program Manager, Exchange Customer Advisory Team
    MCSA 2000/2003
    MCTS: Win Server 2008 AD, Configuration MCTS: Win Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server

NOTICE: My posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:34 AM
  • Thanks Brian. I guess in that case for most orgs there wouldn't much point in including additional ALs in the OAB.  Best just to go for the GAL?

Alexei

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 8:22 PM