System Center Essentials 2010 agent is installed but computer does not show up in "All Windows Computers" in SCE console RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I did an SCE computer discovery, then installed the agent through the SCE console on a new laptop. Under "Agent Managed" in administration tab I can see the new laptop and the agent is healthy. When I go to the computer tab and look in "all windows computers" I do not see the laptop and cannot search for it either. How can I get the new laptop to be a member of "all windows conputers" and "all windows clients" and be searchable?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

aaron skinner
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:29 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Please also let us know the details, if there is any related message in Event Log.

At this time, please try the following:

1.    Check firewall settings of the management server and the agent:

Firewall Exceptions for System Center Essentials 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437377.aspx

2.    Check SUSClientID:

Resolving the duplicate SUSClientID issue, or “Why don’t all my clients show up in the WSUS console?”

http://blogs.technet.com/sus/archive/2009/05/05/resolving-the-duplicate-susclientid-issue-or-why-don-t-all-my-clients-show-up-in-the-wsus-console.aspx

In addition, please refer to the methods in the following post:

Troubleshooting ‘Unknown’ software and update status, ‘Not yet contacted’ and lack of hardware and software inventory

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2010/03/29/troubleshooting-unknown-software-and-update-status-not-yet-contacted-and-lack-of-hardware-and-software-inventory.aspx

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Edited by Nicholas Li Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:52 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, September 26, 2011 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, September 30, 2011 9:23 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Thanks for your help this issue has been resolved. I saw another forun discussion about removing managed network devices from SCE so I removed about 15 network devices and suddenly the SCE server errors went away, alerts started happening again.

After that change on the server, I stopped the SCE service on the client not reporting in SCE console, renamed the Health service state folder, started the system center management service, ran the following batch file on the client.

Rem - Batch script to delete duplicate SusClientIDs
    Rem - Implement this script as a "Startup" or "Logon"  script
    Rem - Script creates an output file called %Systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log
    Rem - If the %Systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log is already present, then the script simply exits

@Echo off
    if exist %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log goto end
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f  > %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log 2>&1
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f  >> %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log 2>&1
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f  >> %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log 2>&1
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow         
    :end
    exit

After waiting about 15 minutes the client is now showing up in WSUS and in the Windows Clients SCE console group as well. Hope this helps someone!

aaron skinner
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, September 30, 2011 9:22 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:01 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please try clearing the HealthService queue on the agent:

1.     Stop System Center Management service.

2.     Go to C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\, and rename the “Health Service State” folder.

3.     Restart System Center Management service.

Meanwhile, please refer to the following articles:

Troubleshooting gray agent states in System Center Operations Manager 2007 and System Center Essentials

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2288515

Fixing troubled agents

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2009/10/01/fixing-troubled-agents.aspx

If the issue persists, please check the Event Log on the agent and the management server; if there are any related errors, please let us know the details.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:35 AM
  • This did not help. The computer appears in wsus console under "unassigned computers" but does not get put into the SCE console
    aaron skinner
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Also I just noticed the computer was in the "unassigned computers" group in wsus, then about 15 minutes later i looked and there are no longer any members of the "unassigned computers" and the computer is no longer listed in any group in WSUS console. looks like the issue is related to this behavior.
    aaron skinner
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:59 PM
  •  

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Please also let us know the details, if there is any related message in Event Log.

At this time, please try the following:

1.    Check firewall settings of the management server and the agent:

Firewall Exceptions for System Center Essentials 2010

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb437377.aspx

2.    Check SUSClientID:

Resolving the duplicate SUSClientID issue, or “Why don’t all my clients show up in the WSUS console?”

http://blogs.technet.com/sus/archive/2009/05/05/resolving-the-duplicate-susclientid-issue-or-why-don-t-all-my-clients-show-up-in-the-wsus-console.aspx

In addition, please refer to the methods in the following post:

Troubleshooting ‘Unknown’ software and update status, ‘Not yet contacted’ and lack of hardware and software inventory

http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2010/03/29/troubleshooting-unknown-software-and-update-status-not-yet-contacted-and-lack-of-hardware-and-software-inventory.aspx

Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Edited by Nicholas Li Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, September 30, 2011 9:23 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:50 AM
  • I am able to telnet to all ports on the SCE server except port 51906. Per the Firewall Exceptions for System Center Essentials 2010 article referenced above.

I obtained a script on this forum to stop update services, replace teh registry keys for susclientid, and restart the services, finally run wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow. After I run the script on computers not showing up in WSUS, they do show up in the unassigned computers group for a short period of time, when I check back about 15 minutes later the computer is no longer in the unassigned computers group and is no longer in the wsus console. I can repeat this behavior on a few workstations in my environment.

I am also getting the following error on the SCE server:

The root management server (HealthService) is  running but has reported limited functionality soon after 9/21/2011 1:50:53 PM. The specific reason code is 43 and description is " System workflows essential to running of the product have failed to load. ".

also getting these warnings:

A rule has generated 50 alerts in the last 60 seconds.  Usually, when a rule generates this many alerts, it is because the rule definition is misconfigured.  Please examine the rule for errors. In order to avoid excessive load, this rule will be temporarily suspended until 2011-09-20T08:32:05.0008697-07:00.

Rule: Microsoft.SystemCenter.ComputerVerification.ModuleError.Alert

Instance: DRI006.DirectRelief.org

Instance ID: {EBFC1F83-1CB3-C984-F47C-F36A1DB1509A}

Management Group: DRI006_MG

and this one:

The process started at 8:10:00 AM failed to create System.PropertyBagData. Errors found in output:

C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 196\117855\AveragePingResponseTime.vbs(26, 19) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Type mismatch: 'CInt'

Command executed: "C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "AveragePingResponseTime.vbs" 10.20.1.240 120 4
    Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 196\117855\

One or more workflows were affected by this.

Workflow name: Microsoft.SystemCenter.NetworkDevice.AveragePingPerformanceCounter

Instance name: 10.20.1.240

Instance ID: {1825BCAC-4A66-8C64-8E71-CC4D9187D093}

Management group: DRI006_MG

and this one:

Error getting state of service

Error: 0x8007007b

Details: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Workflow name: Microsoft.SQLServer.2008.DBEngine.FullTextSearchServiceMonitor

Instance name: ESSENTIALS

Instance ID: {49821376-A9A9-3004-96C6-FBE388E9F1D1}

finally this one:

The process started at 9:42:01 AM failed to create System.PropertyBagData. Errors found in output:

C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 215\213638\GetSQL2008LongRunningJobs.vbs(222, 2) Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server: The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'sp_help_jobactivity', database 'msdb', schema 'dbo'.

Command executed: "C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe" /nologo "GetSQL2008LongRunningJobs.vbs" DRI006\ESSENTIALS
    Working Directory: C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\Health Service State\Monitoring Host Temporary Files 215\213638\

Workflow name: Microsoft.SQLServer.2008.Agent.LongRunningJobs

Instance name: SQLAgent$ESSENTIALS

Instance ID: {6F19EFEB-2B62-9C11-1702-8EE60CBBE201}

aaron skinner
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Thanks for your help this issue has been resolved. I saw another forun discussion about removing managed network devices from SCE so I removed about 15 network devices and suddenly the SCE server errors went away, alerts started happening again.

After that change on the server, I stopped the SCE service on the client not reporting in SCE console, renamed the Health service state folder, started the system center management service, ran the following batch file on the client.

Rem - Batch script to delete duplicate SusClientIDs
    Rem - Implement this script as a "Startup" or "Logon"  script
    Rem - Script creates an output file called %Systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log
    Rem - If the %Systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log is already present, then the script simply exits

@Echo off
    if exist %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log goto end
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f  > %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log 2>&1
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f  >> %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log 2>&1
    reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f  >> %systemdrive%\SUSClientID.log 2>&1
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow         
    :end
    exit

After waiting about 15 minutes the client is now showing up in WSUS and in the Windows Clients SCE console group as well. Hope this helps someone!

aaron skinner
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, September 30, 2011 9:22 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:01 PM
  • I am having the same problem. Did you ever get this resolved and if so, how?

Dennis Wells

Friday, March 28, 2014 4:41 PM