Virtualizing using System Center Essentials 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed & gone through the initial setup of System Center Essentials 2010. Right now I have 4 servers listed in the console. I need to use this tool to convert a physical server to virtual. I am following the steps in http://blogs.technet.com/b/systemcenteressentials/archive/2010/05/28/introduction-to-virtualization-in-system-center-essentials-2010.aspx which seem pretty easy, but I am stuck relatively quickly. I am at the step where I need to designate a host (Tasks->Computer Group->Designate a Host wizard). However, the only options I have under Computer Groups are (1) Delete (greyed out), (2) Deploy Software Package, (3) Edit Group, (4) Group Summary Report. There are no options related to designating a host or any other virtual items. Any ideas why? (P.S. the host I want to set up is Server 2003 x64 with 12GB RAM so should be more than decent...) Thanks in advance for any help.
    • Moved by John Marcum Monday, July 19, 2010 1:12 PM (From:Configuration Manager General)
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:39 AM

Answers

• This is the System Center Configuration Manager Forum; you want the System Center Essential Forum:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/systemcenter/

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, July 19, 2010 12:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, July 30, 2010 9:47 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

May I know if you are using the RTM version of System Center Essentials 2010? If so, please try:

1.    Go to the Computers tab.

2.    Select on All Virtual Machines.

3.    Click Tasks – All Virtual Machines – Designate a Host.

Or, you can go to Computers tab and right click All Virtual Machines and select Designate a Host.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:06 AM

All replies

• Forgot to mention that I also have Virtual Server 2005 with SP1 already installed before installing System Center Essentials, but no VM's were set up at all...
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:40 AM
  • This is the System Center Configuration Manager Forum; you want the System Center Essential Forum:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/systemcenter/

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, July 19, 2010 12:09 PM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

May I know if you are using the RTM version of System Center Essentials 2010? If so, please try:

1.    Go to the Computers tab.

2.    Select on All Virtual Machines.

3.    Click Tasks – All Virtual Machines – Designate a Host.

Or, you can go to Computers tab and right click All Virtual Machines and select Designate a Host.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:06 AM