(0x8004010f): 'The operation failed. An object could not be found


  • We have a Exchange 2003 server with SP2 running on Windows 2003. That is all-in-one setup. Now we introduced a new Exchange 2010 server running on Windows 2008.

    I did performed the steps decribed in the technet article. Now the new server is working fine. Both internal and internet emails are going through. But there is an anoying issue: The client runing Windows XP with Outlook 2003, everything when click send/receive button, there is a task named "Microsoft Exchange" will fail with error like followings:

     'Microsoft Exchange Server reported error (0x8004010f): 'The operation failed. An object could not be found.'"

    I searched on the Internet and most of them mentioned this is related to the offline address book. I think so because on the outlook, if I clicked Tools->send/receive->download addressbook, the same error will show.

    Both users who has mailboxes hosted on Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 has the same issue.

    The "Default Offline Address List" is moved to Exchange 2010 server already. I also tried to remove "Default Offlince Address List" and recreate one but the same result.

    On the client side, I delete all files under

    C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

    and then relaunch outlook, it seems it downloaded something, a file named outlook5.ost is created and grow to more than 100MB, but at the end, the same error message shows up again.

    Did I miss anything?

    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:04 PM


All replies

  • Have you replicated your public and system folders to the new server? If not then you will get this error message.
    The OST is just the email, it is not the Offline Address Book.

    You should add the new server to the list of replicas for public and system folders. Quickest way to do that is to use the AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 script in the Scripts directory under the installation point for Exchange 2010.


    Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources
    Tuesday, November 02, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Hi Sembee,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I believe I have configured all PF to be replicated to Exchange 2010 inlcuding the system one. Is there any command I can run to confirm?

    Error 0x8004010f shows when I click send/receive button. The first task "Microsoft Exchange Server - Sending" is accomplished without error. The second one named as "Microsoft Exchange Server" will fail. If I click on it, the bottom of the dialog window shows the task as "Microsoft Exchange Server Saving synchronization log". The same error will show if in Outlook I click Toos->send and recieve->download address book.

    So it is really looks like the OAB issue. It seems when the outlook tried to write synchronization log back to the server, the corresponding object is missing. What is that object? a public folder?


    Saturday, November 06, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Have you moved the OAB from 2003 to 2010?
    Make sure that it is associated with Mailbox Database and also Public Folder Database is associated to Mailbox Database.

    When user download OAB, do you see if it is poiting to GAL of Offline address list/book?

    Make sure MS Exchange System Attendant service is running.


    Saturday, November 06, 2010 4:25 AM
  • OK. I found this KB which is published last month

    The method 1 fixed my issue. The offline address book is not configured to be linked with the mail store. Hope this can help others.

    • Marked as answer by blueinjazz Saturday, November 06, 2010 5:37 AM
    Saturday, November 06, 2010 5:37 AM
  • I think you didn't red my POST.


    Saturday, November 06, 2010 5:50 AM
  • Gulab,

    No I haven't got change to read your post before I submitted my answer. This is a interesting issue. I don't understand how come the offline address book lost binding with the mailstore.

    Anyway, thanks for your help.

    Monday, November 08, 2010 4:15 PM