none
iPhone 5s Finger Print Reader and ActiveSync Policies RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We require that user's mobile devices use a password and we allow simple passwords.  Does anyone have any idea if Apple's new Finger Print unlock feature on the iPhone 5s will meet this requirement?

Thank you,

Matt

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 5:15 PM

Answers

• Hello, The fingerprint can be used to unlock the phone.  When the lock screen comes up and asks for the 4 digit pin simply put your finger on the sensor and the phone unlocks.  I have not tried this with any settings other than Require Simple Password.
    • Marked as answer by MB2009-1 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:27 PM

All replies

• This is really an Apple forum question. Its up to the vendor on how they implement and honor the policies. I wish I had a new Iphone to test however!

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:27 PM
  • Based on my experience with active-sync and Android I'd be surprised if the fingerprint is supported. Android has a pattern lock that is not accepted by Active sync
    • Marked as answer by cara chen Monday, September 23, 2013 4:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MB2009-1 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:26 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Hi

The iPhone 5S will still need to have a passcode set that will be required whenever the device is restarted or if it has not been unlocked for 48 hours.  The passcode will also be required if a fingerprint cannot be read after a certain number of retries.

I think this will satisfy the ActiveSync policy requirement for a simple password.

Steve

• Proposed as answer by cara chen Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:15 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by MB2009-1 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:26 PM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:05 AM
  • Hello Tony, That was my thought as well;  That ActiveSync does not have a method of determining these alternate password inputs.  I will report back on the 20th or shortly thereafter.
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:42 PM
  • I would be interested to see your feedback on this subject.  I won't have a 5s until mid-November so I don't have any hardware to test this out on.

Steve

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hello, The fingerprint can be used to unlock the phone.  When the lock screen comes up and asks for the 4 digit pin simply put your finger on the sensor and the phone unlocks.  I have not tried this with any settings other than Require Simple Password.
    • Marked as answer by MB2009-1 Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:27 PM
  • 

We have been trying to find a way to block the fingerprint authentication to unlock the device in case our security team does not approve. But from the tests done in our environment the fingerprint authentication is accepted for Simple and Complex Passwrods in our EAS policies.  (EX2010 SP2) The user will be prompt to enter a complex password and it is saved but the finger print is also accepted.  Anybody get similar results or something different?
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:24 PM
  • We are on Exchange 2013 and experience the same thing.  My guess is that this is how Apple is implementing the ActiveSync policy and therefore there is nothing that can be done on the Exchange Server to resolve it.  But that is just my guess at this point.  If you do happen to figure something out I would love to know.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:36 PM
  • It is nice to hear that Exchange policies don't need to be modified to support the TouchID alternative to passcodes on the new iPhones.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:23 PM