none
Exchange 2010 not processing external meeting requests

Question

• I am experiencing the following issue. We have Exchange 2007 in one forest and Exchange 2010 in the second forest.

We have GAL sync set between the two forests. Users from the source forest are showing up as contacts in the destination forest (both directions).

we have -processexternalmeetingmessages is set to $true.

we have -AutomateProcessing set to AutoAccept

When Exchange 2010 user sends a meeting request to the Exchange 2007 conference room, the room gets booked, and the user receives a confirmation email. So in this direction it works. Exchange 2007 room mailboxes correctly book resources for external users and send out the notifications.

However, if Exchange 2007 user tries to book a room in Exchange 2010, the room mailbox does not book the room and does not send out the notification email. The meeting request from the Exchange 2007 user goes directly to the Deleted Items in the Exchange 2010 room mailbox.

I have tried everything. All my settings are set correctly. It works one way from 2010 to 2007 but not the other way... with the  same settings. What is different with Exchange 2010 in this respect?

Friday, August 05, 2011 9:05 PM

Answers

All replies

1. If a user in the Exch 2010 forest send an email to the room mailbox on Exch 2010 what's the result?
    2. Is it setup as per KB - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124542.aspx

Sukh
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:52 AM
    1. If a user in the Exch 2010 forest send an email to the room mailbox on Exch 2010 what's the result?
    2. Is it setup as per KB - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124542.aspx

Sukh
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:52 AM
  • If user in the Exchange 2010 forest sends meeting request to the local Exchange resource mailbox it works as expected. And yes, all settings are set as they should. The KB article actually does not recommend any settings for External users to be able to book conference rooms. I did however follow this article:

http://msexchangeguru.com/2011/06/08/meeting-response/

Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:58 AM
    1. Can you try to add the 2007 Exch server IP to the default receive connector on 2010 and test
    2. Or the external IP sender server IP to the Exch 2010 default recieve connector
    3. Also, what if you create a contact from another Org if you can, another partner Org and test?  Just trying to rule out one Org in your situation.  Just as a test.

Sukh
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:20 AM
  • I have send connectors in both orgs and I have private IPs of remote Exchange servers defined in receive connectors. So the email traffic between the 2 forests is routed over LAN, bypassing the WAN. I will try to do e meeting request from another domain (creating the contact manually), but probably not until Monday.
    Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:46 AM
  • Hi namestek,

Any update for your issue?
    Per my know, it maybe a issue, there is a workaround for it, You can work around this by creating a contact AND having the contact submit the message via an authenticated connection.
    How to configure the authenticated connection, please refer to below:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2006/12/28/3397620.aspx

Regards!
    Gavin
    • Marked as answer by namestek Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Gavin, I will try this tomorrow and I will post results. Thanks.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:37 AM
  • will be waiting for your update
    Abhi
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:38 AM
  • ANy updates on this issue please so that we can suggest you further work around

Thanks

Mihir Nayak
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Thanks to all that commented on this issue. It has been solved per the suggested "How to configure the authenticated connection" article

I decided to do

Option 1: Make your new scoped connector an Externally Secured connector

Our Exchange 2010 can now process external meeting requests and send accept/decline notifications to external users.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 6:10 PM