none
Short date format changed after Windows 10 Professional upgrade from build 1803 to build 1903 RRS feed

• Question

• In the past, I have setup a GPO to configure the short date format (under Control panel -> Region -> Formats) to MM/dd/yyyy

It works for Windows 10 build 1603 up to build 1803.

Recently, I have some machines upgraded to build 1903, and found that the short date format was changed to M/d/yy instead during the machine startup. If I run "gpupdate /force" manually and I can successfully changed it back to MM/dd/yyyy.

However, after PC startup, after the group policy is applied by system automatically (as showed up in the event viewer), the short date format is reverted back to M/d/yy

Furthermore, I found that the registry key - sShortDate was mysteriously missing after the PC reboot (before PC reboot, it was still there). If this key is missing, then the default format of the short date will become M/D/yyyy (without the leading zero for day and month).

My existing workaround is to add the timeout command to sleep for 60 seconds at the end of the login script. After the timeout, then run "gpupdate force" to set the key value. But this is NOT a solution. It's just workaround. It is at risk if the user close the login script window before gpupdate  is executed. we rely on the short date format in generating customer reports. 

David Wong

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I recommend you to report this via Feedback hub app, so that developers got notified about this issue and fix it.

Regards. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

So far I can't find this problem on known issues for Windows 10, version 1903.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1903

Please refer to the reply by Kapil.Arya.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:24 AM
  • I have reported the issue to Feedback Hub.

So far, my workaround is as follows:

Open regedit. Navaigate to the tree: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International

Then disable inheritance. Modify the security permission by removing the "Full control" right (only leaving the Read permission) of the logon domain user.

After the modification, user cannot modify the short date format; user cannot open Control panel -> Region. However, he can still see the Region settings under Settings -> Region settings.

The after the PC reboot and logon as domain user, the short date format is preserved (because now the domain user does not have rights to change the short date format)

David Wong

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting here and sharing the workaround in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

A week had past but unfortunately no reply from the Feedback Hub.

I had reported via O365 support, but Microsoft technical support replied that no more support on the Outlook 2013 version. 

If there is still no feedback from Microsoft, I will consider to on hold the Windows 10 Professional upgrade from the existing build 1803.

David Wong

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

I found not only the short date format is changed, the long date format is changed as well after Outlook 2013 is opened on a machine running Windows 10 professional build 1903.

David Wong

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:41 AM
  • I searched on the web and found a reported incident similar to my case:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-2013-change-my-system-date-format/9b8b7401-1e83-4730-a75d-246b3d1ad7d0

However, the conversation stopped at 22 May 2019, and no further update afterwards.

The instructions mentioned in the forum is the workaround which I am now using. I have to modify the registry immediately after each time Outlook is opened. 

David Wong

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

According to the product lifecycle, no more support on the Outlook 2013 version.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/16674

As you know, there isn't exact answer so far, I suggest using the workaround for the time being.

I will watching closely to this issue, If there is any related update, I will let you know. I want to thank you for your useful suggestion and patience along the way.

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:29 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.

May be another kind of workaround is to stay with Windows 10 build 1803.

David Wong

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:33 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with you.

I would recommend you wait a bit until Windows 10 1903 matures with future cumulative updates.

Best Regards,

Farena

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:08 AM
  • Hi Farena,

Finally, I make use of the GPO to enable "Disallow user override of locale settings" to prohibit user to change the short and long date format.

I am really frustrated. We are satisfying with Outlook 2013, we own the perpetual licenses and we hope to continue to use it until the end of the extended support on the year 2022. I have reported to Microsoft via O365 service request (we have subscribed O365 Enterprise E3, though we downgraded it to Outlook 2013 because we still have some old applications that linked to Outlook and we need time to test for compatibility with Outlook 2016 or higher), but they reported that Outlook 2013 is end-of-support. 

David Wong

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

I understand that the issue brought some trouble to you. Sorry for all these inconvenience.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 7:11 AM