Errors on System Center Essentials 2010 installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've been struggling to get an installation of SCE going on a single-server network. I've attempted to deploy it several times, but I continue to get the same errors. I'm attempting to install on a Server 2008 R2 domain controller, there was no existing deployment of Sql Server prior to install, and the server wasn't running the web server role. I allowed the installer to install and configure both prerequisites. I was attempting to install SCE and Reporting, but not Virtualization Management. The server had previously been managed by a different SCOM deployment, but is separate from that network/management group now. For the record, I already read through this thread which appears to be experiencing the exact same problems that I am, except I never ran SCSM on the DC before, and running the cleanup tool as suggested didn't help anything.

Here's what I've tried:

• - I fully removed the ESSENTIALS Sql Server 2008 SP1 instance.
    • - I fully removed the ESSENTIALS Sql Server 2008 SP1 instance, and deleted the instance directories afterwards.
    • - I fully removed the ESSENTIALS Sql Server 2008 SP1 instance, deleted the instance directories, and ran the Resource Kit cleanup tool with all the options enabled.

Here's the install log containing the errors I saw. Pasted below are the lines containing "failed."

1. GetMsiFeatureState: Failed to get feature state. Error Code: 0x80070646. MOMGateway
    2. SetHealthServiceConfig: Failed to get Feature State.. Error Code: 0x80070646. MOMGateway
    3. GetMsiFeatureState: Failed to get feature state. Error Code: 0x80070646. MOMREPORTINGDB
    4. GetMsiFeatureState: Failed to get feature state. Error Code: 0x80070646. MOMGateway
    5. SetErrorReportingAndADIntegrationSettings: Failed to get Feature State.. Error Code: 0x80070646. MOMGateway
    6. SetErrorReportingAndADIntegrationSettings: RegOpenKeyEx failed to open registry key. Error Code: 0x80070002. SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HealthService\Parameters
    7. SetErrorReportingAndADIntegrationSettings: RegQueryValueEx failed.. Error Code: 0x80070006. Error Reports Enabled
    8. SetErrorReportingAndADIntegrationSettings: RegOpenKeyEx failed.. Error Code: 0x80070006. Queue Error Reports
    9. SetErrorReportingAndADIntegrationSettings: RegOpenKeyEx failed to open registry key. Error Code: 0x80070006. ConnectorManager
    10. GetMsiFeatureState: Failed to get feature state. Error Code: 0x80070646. MOMREPORTINGDB
    11. CleanUpDirectory: FindFirstFile failed to open handle for specified directory. Error Code: 0x80070003. C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\Certificates\*.*
    12. CleanUpDirectory: FindFirstFile failed to open handle for specified directory. Error Code: 0x80070003. C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\SDK Service State\*.*
    13. CleanUpDirectory: FindFirstFile failed to open handle for specified directory. Error Code: 0x80070003. C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\Config Service State\*.*
    14. CleanUpDirectory: FindFirstFile failed to open handle for specified directory. Error Code: 0x80070003. C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\Service Configurations\*.*
    15. RegisterMU: AddService failed. Error Code: 0x80070005.
    16. Property(S): SQLServicesErrDlg_Title.68918168_3885_4F75_BBF8_0CC84213F8D1 = Setup failed to start Microsoft SQL Server services
    17. Property(S): SQLServicesErrDlg_Desc.68918168_3885_4F75_BBF8_0CC84213F8D1 = The Operations Manager 2007 R2 setup failed to start the Microsoft SQL server services. To continue setup, go back and choose a different instance or start the SQL Server services for the selected instance.
    18. MSI (s) (48:C8) [03:11:10:257]: Product: System Center Essentials 2010 -- Installation operation failed.

The last two appear to just be content strings, but they're included for completeness. The problem seems to be that the SCOM services/database can't be reached; I can't tell if MOMGateway and MOMREPORTINGDB are internal identifiers, or if they're default property values that were never set during the information gathering process.

Can anyone help me out with this? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there, other than the thread I link here.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:31 PM

Answers

• Interesting. Some more random googling brought me to this thread which suggests that if you don't allow the installer to use windows update for updates, the update will succeed. Unfortunately, since each of these attempts was costing me about 90 minutes, I inadvisably forsook the scientific method, and changed three things at once:

1. I uninstalled the Web Server role again prior to the successful attempt
    2. I unchecked the "Download the latest updates to System Center Essentials 2010 during setup" box prior to starting the install.
    3. I left the box roughly resembling "Use Windows Update to update System Center Essentials 2010" box late in the install process.

Not sure which of these things was the fix, but one or all of them allowed me to finish the installation.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:51 AM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:49 AM

All replies

• Interesting. Some more random googling brought me to this thread which suggests that if you don't allow the installer to use windows update for updates, the update will succeed. Unfortunately, since each of these attempts was costing me about 90 minutes, I inadvisably forsook the scientific method, and changed three things at once:

1. I uninstalled the Web Server role again prior to the successful attempt
    2. I unchecked the "Download the latest updates to System Center Essentials 2010 during setup" box prior to starting the install.
    3. I left the box roughly resembling "Use Windows Update to update System Center Essentials 2010" box late in the install process.

Not sure which of these things was the fix, but one or all of them allowed me to finish the installation.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:51 AM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for lettings us know the troubleshooting process, I will help others in the forums to resolve similar issues.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:52 AM
  • Actually, I'm upgrading that same server with a larger hard drive to support Virtualization Management as well, so I'll be re-doing the deployment this weekend. If I learn anything I'll post it here!
    Friday, September 3, 2010 3:57 PM
  • I also had the same issue and unchecked the box "Use Windows Update to update System Center Essentials 2010". SCE 2010 installed and completed
    • Proposed as answer by NeighborGeek Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:00 PM
    Sunday, September 19, 2010 5:26 PM