TASKs not updating RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a large master project  (380 tasks plus 4 sub w/50 and 4 sub w/200), as well created a shared resource pool as a separate file.  Recently started that the tasks no longer automatically update, I literally have to simply switch it to manual then just back to auto and magically it updates to the correct date based on its predecessor on its own. The kicker is I have to do this for each task I can not do it for more than 1 or 2. I also noticed that the program decides to put constraints on some tasks which I do removed before trying an update, that it puts news one not always to the same tasks but also does not update the task dates.

    What am I missing, help!

    Monday, June 1, 2020 7:35 PM

All replies

  • Paulo-71,

    First of all what version of Project are you using? Is it fully updated?

    I think what you are missing is the fragility of linked structures in Project. You have double jeopardy with a master/subproject and resource pool.

    For reference, none of the file in a linked structure can ever be moved, renamed, overwritten, or "saved off" to another location. Ideally, all files should reside in a single directory folder on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

    If you have done any of the above, then it is likely your structure is corrupt and that's why it fails to respond as it once did. If it is corrupt it may be possible to de-struct and clean the files. Then if we can get a better understanding of your end goal, perhaps we can suggest a better approach.


    Monday, June 1, 2020 9:24 PM
  • And also check that in your options that you have automatic updates enabled.

    Michael Wharton, Past MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website <br/> Blog contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:08 AM
  • And also, if you are storing this on onedrive, I've seen one-drive duplicated files in the past and that causes no end of issues...

    Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 9:35 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

    Yes I am aware of the delicacy of the file structure, however I can not avoid using the network location as multiple people need to access.  Trust me I am so aware of the fragility of the file structure corruption.....not fond of the memory.  

    I do have the auto-updates on and I have increased the cache  file size to 100mb, in hope its a buffering related issue. That the simple act of toggling to manual to auto corrects the date tells me the links are still there.

    Goal here is to understand the impact of multiple issues to the delivery of the milestones.

    But what I find confusing also is the system keeps install its own constraints.


    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 8:42 PM
  • that's by design, if I understand your question.

    If you move a task or update a task, several constraints could be in placed.   For example, when pushing out task to status date for tasks not started, will set constraint of task to "Start No Earlier on"

    Michael Wharton, Past MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website <br/> Blog contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Tuesday, June 2, 2020 9:03 PM
  • Sorry forgot to mention it is 2013 profressional 32-bit not sure about the last update as all of that is managed by corporate IT.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2020 5:48 PM