Adding extra IP to existing DAG not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have multi-homed Exchange 2010 SP1 Servers.

I want to add a 2nd IP (192.168.88.88) to the DAG for the backup network. The existing DAG IP is 192.168.1.100.

I ran the following;

Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -identity "dagname" -DatabaseAvailabilityGroupIpAddress 192.168.1.100, 192.168.88.88

When I ran the above command it had a warning

WARNING: The Exchange Trusted Subsystem is not a member of the local Administrators group on specified witness server fsw01.com.

The "Exchange Trusted Subsystem" is a member of the local Admin so not sure why I still get the above warning???

However, it did seem to add the 2nd IP but still can't ping the backup DAG IP 192.168.88.88.

Also when I look in the Failover Cluster Manager - in the cluster resource section I only see Cluster IP for 192.168.1.100.

Any idea how I can make it so that I can access the DAG with both IP's e.g. on 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.88.88?

Thanks

ECL

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 10:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info - I think I getting there now :) just need to clear up a couple more questions (I think it is looking like the net backup server needs to be connected to the mapi n/w).

I have 4 exchange server, each with 3 nic's - mapi (192.168.1.x), replication (192.168.2.x) and backup (192.168.88.x) and all connected up on 1 dag.

1. The 192,168.88.x is on the backup network and all server connected - so is the reason why it's not working / register as it needs to be on a MAPI network IP address range?

2. Also you say that there can be only one MAPI network. Can you tell me what makes a mapi network? is it just purely the fact that it has the client for ms n/w, file print sharing..etc and is first in the binding list?

Thanks

ECL

1. The cluster owner would have to be active on the .88.x network for your backup software to connect to it and iterate through the stores if you wanted it to use the .88 subnet exclusively for backups. In other words, the backup network would have to be used used by the DAG as a mapi network.

2. The mapi network is simply another name for the client network, the connection point for Exchange clients ( typically via the CAS)

I think the idea of a backup subnet doesnt play here. Remember, netbackup will prefer the passive node and theses are VSS backups. If you are concerned about network traffic backing up through the current mapi network, I doubt you should be concerned.

Alternatively, have 4 copies of each store, enable circular logging and forgo backups alltogether.

• Marked as answer by ECL Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:56 AM
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:31 PM

All replies

• The warning was about some other action Set-Dag was trying to take and wouldn't affect what you're doing.

Who are the owners for the second IP Address resource.

The system was designed for there to only be one IP address active at a time for the cluster group resource.

Why would you need to access the Dag by the Dag IP address? No Exchange services use that IP address.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:14 PM
  • The problem is that the backup server (net backup) is on the backup vlan only and needs to access the DAG IP which is currently on the front-end MAPI Vlan only.

I thought that maybe both IP's would be accessible so net backup could access the DAG info. Instead now we will have to back the exchange servers databases individually and not able to use the full functionality of the net backup which is DAG aware e.g. choosing the active and passive DB's...etc and now having to backup the lot.

So may we should move the DAG IP to the backup vlan ? would that be a good idea ? The exchange servers are muti-homed with a frontend mapi, a replication and a backup vlan's.

Just that I think read some where that DAG IP should be on the Front End Vlan so not sure what the impact is if we move the DAG IP to the backup vlan ???

P.S as a matter of interest I did not understand why after running Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -identity "dagname" -DatabaseAvailabilityGroupIpAddress 192.168.1.100,192.168.88.88  - It did not setup the 2nd IP as a network IP in the Failover Cluster Manger which I find strange. I would of expected both IP's to be seen in the Failover Cluster Manager with only one of them active ?

Thanks

ECL

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have multiple network cards on that server ? (corresponding to the subnet that you want to add)

If yes; its possible throw the cluster console; the name can have multiple ip address on different subnet

Dhafer HAMMAMI
    Friday, April 22, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

Yes I have multiple network cards on different subnets. However, I heard only one can be active at any one time. My question is can I just have one on the backup network only which is not the mapi network? This is so the net backup can access the dag ... Is there any draw backs of not having the cluster dag IP on the mapi network (just that i read some where the reommendation is to put on the mapi network) ?

Also if I did use 2 ip's - any idea why  Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -identity "dagname" -DatabaseAvailabilityGroupIpAddress 192.168.1.100,192.168.88.88  - did not setup the 2nd IP as a network IP in the Failover Cluster Manger. I would of expected both IP's to be seen in the Failover Cluster Manager with only one of them active ? ?

Thanks

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:18 PM
  • Hi,

Yes I have multiple network cards on different subnets. However, I heard only one can be active at any one time. My question is can I just have one on the backup network only which is not the mapi network? This is so the net backup can access the dag ... Is there any draw backs of not having the cluster dag IP on the mapi network (just that i read some where the reommendation is to put on the mapi network) ?

Also if I did use 2 ip's - any idea why  Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -identity "dagname" -DatabaseAvailabilityGroupIpAddress 192.168.1.100,192.168.88.88  - did not setup the 2nd IP as a network IP in the Failover Cluster Manger. I would of expected both IP's to be seen in the Failover Cluster Manager with only one of them active ? ?

Thanks

The Cluster IP Has to be on the MAPI network. There is no way around that. There can only be one mapi network though it can span multiple ip subnets.

As to your second question, have you added a mailbox server on the 192.168.88 subnet to the DAG yet? It wont register the cluster ip until that happens. If you are attempting to have one mailbox server connected to 2 mapi network ip subnets, that is not the way to go. :)

Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks for the info - I think I getting there now :) just need to clear up a couple more questions (I think it is looking like the net backup server needs to be connected to the mapi n/w).

I have 4 exchange server, each with 3 nic's - mapi (192.168.1.x), replication (192.168.2.x) and backup (192.168.88.x) and all connected up on 1 dag.

1. The 192,168.88.x is on the backup network and all server connected - so is the reason why it's not working / register as it needs to be on a MAPI network IP address range?

2. Also you say that there can be only one MAPI network. Can you tell me what makes a mapi network? is it just purely the fact that it has the client for ms n/w, file print sharing..etc and is first in the binding list?

Thanks

ECL

Saturday, April 23, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Hi Andy,

Thanks

ECL

1. The cluster owner would have to be active on the .88.x network for your backup software to connect to it and iterate through the stores if you wanted it to use the .88 subnet exclusively for backups. In other words, the backup network would have to be used used by the DAG as a mapi network.

2. The mapi network is simply another name for the client network, the connection point for Exchange clients ( typically via the CAS)

I think the idea of a backup subnet doesnt play here. Remember, netbackup will prefer the passive node and theses are VSS backups. If you are concerned about network traffic backing up through the current mapi network, I doubt you should be concerned.

Alternatively, have 4 copies of each store, enable circular logging and forgo backups alltogether.

• Marked as answer by ECL Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:56 AM
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 9:31 PM
  • thanks for the advice :)

Sunday, April 24, 2011 10:56 AM
  • thanks for the advice :)

HI ECL,

Does the problem solved? How can you fix it ?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:29 AM
  • Hi Roy, In the end we just stuck with the 1 DAG IP and backed up on using the backup NIC without the full DAG features in Netbackup.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:34 AM
  • Hi Roy, In the end we just stuck with the 1 DAG IP and backed up on using the backup NIC without the full DAG features in Netbackup.

Hi ECL,

I'm using BackupExec 2010 R2. When backup DAG and specify Backup LAN in the backup option, it will prompt an error "can't connect to remote server dag.abc,local". The backup job is ok when specify the production LAN.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Hi Roy, Thats is correct. What we done in the end is not to backup using the DAG (dag.abc.local) and backup by selecting the actual exchange server on the backup network (exsrv1.backup.abc.local). You lose the DAG features but it will still backup and restore fine.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:16 AM