none
How to enable and disable Circular logging for Mailbox Stores in Database Availability Group Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Please help me to by providing steps that how I can enable and disable circular logging for Mailbox Stores in Database Availability Group Exchange 2010. I want to enable circular logging to migrate a large number of mailboxes from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010.

I will really appreciate your help.....Thanks

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:44 PM

Answers

• Set-MailboxDatabase -CircularloggingEnabled:$true
    Friday, April 23, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Hi guys,

You needn't do Dismount/Mount for DB's which are members of DAG with two or more copies, after enabling Circular Logging.

Andrey Podlesnykh | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSA

• Edited by Andrey Podlesnykh Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by GzBz Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Liaqat Bashir Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:16 AM
  • No, the replication service will pickup the change in AD within 30 seconds. You don't need to worry about suspending, resuming, mounting or dismounting. Just make the change.
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:23 PM

All replies

• Set-MailboxDatabase -CircularloggingEnabled:$true
    Friday, April 23, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Do I need to suspend DAG replication before enabling circular logging and what command should I run to suspend and resume replication?

Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:56 PM
  • No, the replication service will pickup the change in AD within 30 seconds. You don't need to worry about suspending, resuming, mounting or dismounting. Just make the change.
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 6:23 PM
  • We need to disable circular logging on the databases on our DAG.

I see a discrepancy on the mount\dismount requirement. The link below indicates that it won't take effect until the DB is dis-mounted and re-mounted.

http://www.howexchangeworks.com/2010/05/mailbox-database-copy-and-circular.html

If so, what's the best practise to allow the clients to continue to have access. (move users to another DB first? or is there a pre-defined script to use?)

DQ
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:38 PM
  • We need to disable circular logging on the databases on our DAG.

I see a discrepancy on the mount\dismount requirement. The link below indicates that it won't take effect until the DB is dis-mounted and re-mounted.

http://www.howexchangeworks.com/2010/05/mailbox-database-copy-and-circular.html

If so, what's the best practise to allow the clients to continue to have access. (move users to another DB first? or is there a pre-defined script to use?)

DQ
    I'm interested too. What's the danger of mounting/dismounting DB after enabling CL? How long it takes? What happens to the mail while doing this process? 
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Dismounting the database means that mail can't be delivered to it during the time it's dismounted. Any mail which would be delivered to the database gets held in the transport queues until the database is mounted again. The amount of time it takes to dismount/remount the database depends upon the active database transactions at the time of dismount, and the performance of the underlying hardware. It will generally be around a few minutes.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Thanks for your answer. I've tried - it took just 20-30 seconds to dismount and mount database (few GB, ~30 users).

I believe it was so fast because it was made after work hours.

• Edited by Rim Vel Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:07 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Hi Liaqatba,

I am facing the same task as you mentioned above so I would be good if you can share with me your experience for disabling the <Circular Logging> for the Mailbox Stores in DAG Exchange 2010.

1. Our production environment have two MBX (Active and Passive) mode, do I have to uncheck the Circular logging box for both MBX server

2. Dismount and Mount require for this action

P.S. Thank You or anyone have the answer I am looking for please kindly drop me a message Cheers

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:40 AM
  • Hi Liaqatba,

I am facing the same task as you mentioned above so I would be good if you can share with me your experience for disabling the <Circular Logging> for the Mailbox Stores in DAG Exchange 2010.

1. Our production environment have two MBX (Active and Passive) mode, do I have to uncheck the Circular logging box for both MBX server

2. Dismount and Mount require for this action

P.S. Thank You or anyone have the answer I am looking for please kindly drop me a message Cheers

Yahoo... I just disabled the circular logging last weekend without any problems occurs.

1. Open the EMC goto --> Orgaination Configuration --> Mailbox --> Database Management 

Right click for the mailbox click <Properties> goto the maintenance tab and un-check the <Circular Logging> function.

2. Dismount / mount your mailbox (it got around 10 minutes for a 150 GB mailbox)

3. <F5> to refresh the EMC to ensure database mount successfully and the passive copy is health (sometime <F5> cannot show the real time status workaround re-open EMC)

4. Under the EMS to vertify the status

Get-mailboxdatabase | where {$_.circularloggingEnabled –eq $true}

Sean Li

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Hi guys,

You needn't do Dismount/Mount for DB's which are members of DAG with two or more copies, after enabling Circular Logging.

Andrey Podlesnykh | MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007/2010 | MCSA

• Edited by Andrey Podlesnykh Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:17 AM
    • Proposed as answer by GzBz Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Liaqat Bashir Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:16 AM
  • I have a DB copy that is hooped, (and creating a new copy from the current active DB doesn't take) so we are going to delete it, create a new DB, migrate users to it, and then create a copy from the new one.

Current status - old DB is active but the single copy is suspended. (and shortly to be deleted).

I need to enable circular logging on the DB above, but the copy is hooped (and suspended) and it's the only copy.

Then I'm going to remove the copy, delete the files, re-create a new DB in its place and migrate users to the new one.

Can I still simply 'enable' circular logging and have it take on the current active DB, so I can start moving all the users off?

DQ

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:34 PM
  • Do you have a cluster system? (an active and passive node)?  What happens if you dismount the active database?  Does it fail over and make the passive copy the active copy?  Do I need to manually fail it over then dismount?  Please advise.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:32 PM