none
Microsft Edge Welcome Screen - Disable RRS feed

• Question

• How can IT administrators disable the Microsoft Edge welcome screen from displaying? We were able to stop this behavior in IE, please tell me we have an option in Edge. We use MDT to deploy our images if that makes any difference.

Friday, January 22, 2016 7:03 PM

Answers

• I have finally found it. It has been a long time coming, but here is the real working answer.

A registry key named IE10TourNoShow with a DWORD value of 1 must exist at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main"

It sounds completely ridiculous, but when you look at that 'Main' key under MicrosoftEdge you will see IE10TourShown & IE10TourShownTime

From here I remember the old days of IE where if you put a DWORD of IE<Version>TourNoShow in the Main section of internet explorer you will receive similar results. See this link.

Please share this with others so they do not have to spend endless hours trying to find this answer.

The end result should be like this:

I created a small script along with a .reg file to create a reg import to run once for a newly logged in user. All we have to do now is make an MDT application and make it call the EdgeScript.cmd and the rest is done.

Contents of EdgeScript.cmd:

reg load "hku\Default" "C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT"
    reg import EdgeRun.reg
    xcopy EdgeSettings.reg "C:\Windows\"  /y
    reg unload "hku\default"

Contents of EdgeRun.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce]
    "Edgesettings"="Reg Import C:\\Windows\\EdgeSettings.reg"

Contents of EdgeSettings.reg:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\LowRegistry\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main]
    "SyncSettings"=dword:00000000
    "FavoritesESEEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "IE10TourShown"=dword:00000001
    "IE10TourShownTime"=hex:13,0a,03,af,e2,56,d1,01
    "ImageStoreRandomFolder"="130yztl"
    "LastClosedWidth"=dword:00000d70
    "LastClosedHeight"=dword:00000558
    "IE10TourNoShow"=dword:00000001
    "HomeButtonEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "HomeButtonPage"="http://google.com/"
    "DoNotTrack"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\TabbedBrowsing]
    "NTPFirstRun"=dword:00000001

• Edited by ameyer117 Monday, January 25, 2016 4:51 AM Resized Picture
    • Marked as answer by ameyer117 Monday, January 25, 2016 4:52 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 4:49 AM

All replies

• I need this, too. Windows 10 is basically undeployable until this is resolved. The GPOs for Edge suck. There are only a handful.
    Friday, January 22, 2016 11:44 PM
  • Hello,

See if this registry trick helps you:

http://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-disable-welcome-page-in-microsoft-edge

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

Saturday, January 23, 2016 4:17 AM
  • I have finally found it. It has been a long time coming, but here is the real working answer.

A registry key named IE10TourNoShow with a DWORD value of 1 must exist at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main"

It sounds completely ridiculous, but when you look at that 'Main' key under MicrosoftEdge you will see IE10TourShown & IE10TourShownTime

From here I remember the old days of IE where if you put a DWORD of IE<Version>TourNoShow in the Main section of internet explorer you will receive similar results. See this link.

Please share this with others so they do not have to spend endless hours trying to find this answer.

The end result should be like this:

I created a small script along with a .reg file to create a reg import to run once for a newly logged in user. All we have to do now is make an MDT application and make it call the EdgeScript.cmd and the rest is done.

Contents of EdgeScript.cmd:

reg load "hku\Default" "C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.DAT"
    reg import EdgeRun.reg
    xcopy EdgeSettings.reg "C:\Windows\"  /y
    reg unload "hku\default"

Contents of EdgeRun.reg

[HKEY_USERS\Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Runonce]
    "Edgesettings"="Reg Import C:\\Windows\\EdgeSettings.reg"

Contents of EdgeSettings.reg:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\LowRegistry\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main]
    "SyncSettings"=dword:00000000
    "FavoritesESEEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "IE10TourShown"=dword:00000001
    "IE10TourShownTime"=hex:13,0a,03,af,e2,56,d1,01
    "ImageStoreRandomFolder"="130yztl"
    "LastClosedWidth"=dword:00000d70
    "LastClosedHeight"=dword:00000558
    "IE10TourNoShow"=dword:00000001
    "HomeButtonEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "HomeButtonPage"="http://google.com/"
    "DoNotTrack"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\TabbedBrowsing]
    "NTPFirstRun"=dword:00000001

• Edited by ameyer117 Monday, January 25, 2016 4:51 AM Resized Picture
    • Marked as answer by ameyer117 Monday, January 25, 2016 4:52 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2016 4:49 AM
  • Hi Ameyer,

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:31 AM
  • This is absurd. Just spent the better part of two days getting this to work. How did you get around UAC?
    • Edited by daov2a Monday, May 2, 2016 9:28 PM
    Monday, May 2, 2016 9:27 PM
  • I gotta ask, is there any reason we can't just jam your reg settings into the default hive and skip the runonce?

Thanks for this by the way.

Friday, June 3, 2016 2:22 PM
  • I believe I tried injecting into the default hive originally and the settings were overwritten. It has been a while though...
    Friday, June 3, 2016 2:31 PM
  • This is correct. The local user service during appx provisioning overwrites any values in the default hive.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:29 PM
  • I found a cleaner solution here that should do the trick a bit more efficiently:
    http://hinchley.net/2016/01/31/disable-microsoft-edge-first-run-welcome-page-for-new-users/

Excellent idea to use Active Setup and wait for the setup of Edge to complete. Works awesome by the way.

Once you generate an MSI, you can then edit it with Orca and add any Registry values you want, such as favorites, enable favorites bar, home button and the like.

Hope it works for someone wandering to this page.

Would love to give the author kudos but cannot find a way to do so!

Thursday, June 9, 2016 9:26 PM