none
Internal mail flow between two hub transport servers same domain RRS feed

• Question

•  We are going to be upgrading to exchange 2010 and I am curious.  If we are going to have 2 exchange 2010 servers  A and B each holding the HUB/CAS and MB  server roles .  From what I know all mail goes through the HT server even internal mail  but I believe I heard that.. lets say my MB is on server A which also holds the HB server role  and I am sending an email to Joe Shmoe who is on the same mail server ..because there are 2 HB servers in my domain my email to Joe would be routed to the HB server B  and then back to server A to Joe. Is this correct? If so is there a way to force all local mail to go through a certain hub?  I hope I explained this okay.  The reason I ask this question is that I am concerned if this is indeed true that if I place  server A in my production domain and I put Server B in my DR location which is offsite there will be a delay.  Thank you in advance for your help.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 2:38 AM

Answers

• Thank you both for your help, we have 1 site and I found out that

This is from an Exchange person.

if you have multiple servers in the same Active Directory site that all have the Mailbox and Hub Transport roles installed (such as EX1 and EX2), a message to be delivered on server EX1 will be delivered by the HT component on server EX2.  If EX2 is not available, only then will EX1 try to deliver the message.  They do this to ensure that a copy of the message is in the transport dumpster on another server in case the message needs to be recovered.

If you have a  DR server is in a different Active Directory site (which it probably should be), then it will not deliver messages from your primary server.

• Marked as answer by xroadtripx Monday, December 13, 2010 2:31 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:49 PM

All replies

• If you have created AD sites and you are sending mail from site A then your mail route through Site A HT server only not from Site B HT server.  

If you have single AD site and two HT server then HT will work in Round Robbin. And also make a note that Round Robbin never work if your mailbox server holding HT role. 

Please let me know if you have any query.

- Mitesh Gosar |Skype:Mitesh.Gosar

Monday, November 22, 2010 5:19 AM
  • When the Hub Transport and Mailbox server roles are installed on the same server, the Mailbox server only uses its own local Hub Transport server instance to for mail submission.  Any other Hub Transport servers within the AD Site will not be utilized by the Mailbox server for mail submission.
    Paul Cunningham (MCITP) Get more Exchange tips and tutorials at: http://exchangeserverpro.com
    Monday, November 22, 2010 5:47 AM
  • Thank you both for your help, we have 1 site and I found out that

This is from an Exchange person.

if you have multiple servers in the same Active Directory site that all have the Mailbox and Hub Transport roles installed (such as EX1 and EX2), a message to be delivered on server EX1 will be delivered by the HT component on server EX2.  If EX2 is not available, only then will EX1 try to deliver the message.  They do this to ensure that a copy of the message is in the transport dumpster on another server in case the message needs to be recovered.

If you have a  DR server is in a different Active Directory site (which it probably should be), then it will not deliver messages from your primary server.

• Marked as answer by xroadtripx Monday, December 13, 2010 2:31 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:49 PM
  • When the Hub Transport and Mailbox server roles are installed on the same server, the Mailbox server only uses its own local Hub Transport server instance to for mail submission.  Any other Hub Transport servers within the AD Site will not be utilized by the Mailbox server for mail submission.
    Paul Cunningham (MCITP) Get more Exchange tips and tutorials at: http://exchangeserverpro.com

Actually no. If you have more than one HT server in the same site and the HT/MB roles are collocated, mail will actually go to another HT server in the site in order to get you HA for that message (e.g. shadow redundancy, transport dumpster, etc).
    My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
    My Blog - www.briandesmond.com
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Must be thinking of Exchange 2007. Makes sense to do it that way in Exchange 2010 yeah.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 5:56 AM
  • Thank you everyone.  Can I do this? Can I create 2 servers at my production location with all 3 roles and then in my DR location create a mail server and a CAS and then have a standby HT server that I can power on when we do DR testing or if there is a disaster? in the event of a disaster would mail would be routed through the HT but I would just lose messages that were in the queue?  Would it make a difference if the HT couldn't connect to other HT? This may seem silly but it seems inefficient for everyday use if a HT is at another physical location that our internal mail go through the other physical location and come back here . ( FYI- The DR site is on the same subnet but different IP range.) I am coming into a situation where they already have a DR site setup and there is no email so I would really like to implement a way for users to get email in the event of an emergency.

Secondly if I were 2 separate the HT/CAS server roles and the MB server then the MB  would use round robin correct?

Monday, November 29, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Thank you everyone.  Can I do this? Can I create 2 servers at my production location with all 3 roles and then in my DR location create a mail server and a CAS and then have a standby HT server that I can power on when we do DR testing or if there is a disaster? in the event of a disaster would mail would be routed through the HT but I would just lose messages that were in the queue?  Would it make a difference if the HT couldn't connect to other HT? This may seem silly but it seems inefficient for everyday use if a HT is at another physical location that our internal mail go through the other physical location and come back here . ( FYI- The DR site is on the same subnet but different IP range.) I am coming into a situation where they already have a DR site setup and there is no email so I would really like to implement a way for users to get email in the event of an emergency.

Secondly if I were 2 separate the HT/CAS server roles and the MB server then the MB  would use round robin correct?

Exchange relies on AD Sites to determine routing boundaries. If the DR site is in the same AD site as your primary Exchange servers then it will consider it as one site and will use Hub servers there. If the AD sites are properly configured and split up then a HUB server in the DR site won't be used unless mail is trying to be delivered to an active Mailbox DB that DR site. I would not advocate powering it down as you want to make sure the box is going to be healthy when you need it and having it online will ensure that.

If HUB does not live on the Mailbox server then yes it is best described as a round robin that will be used. :)

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    Monday, November 29, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Thank yo so much.  Curious...Can you configure the mail flow on the Hub Transport to use only certain Hub Transport servers?  Kind of like the CAS where you can set the cost of routes?  Maybe through a connector?

Thanks again for all your help.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:54 AM
  • If you have numerous AD sites you can create a Hub Site that forces all mail to flow through the Hub transport servers in that site.

Send Connectors also can have the Source Servers specified, which is what Hub Transport servers are allowed to use that send connector.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
    My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Thank you .  So I guess there is not way on the same domain , same site , same AD- to only have mail go through 2 servers and have the 3rd one in my DR site only be a failover/readonly type HT server...Oh well :)

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all my questions.  Still learning 2010

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:41 PM