Rules not running automatically in Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• ACK!!!

This is so frustrating, but recently my rules stop firing automatically.  They seem to be only doing this for my client rules only, but as of a couple of weeks ago these rules had worked fine for the last 6 years.  I am using Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2010.

The only thing that has changed recently is that I was running out of space for my rules, so my IT department double my rule size limit.  Somewhere around that time, my rules stop firing automatically.  They work perfectly when ran manually, but will not run automatically.

I have even deleted all the rules and recreated just one simple rule, but it still does not work automatically (works manually):

Apply to message from "XXXXX" move it to the "XXXXX" folder and stop processing more rules

No matter what I do these rules will not run automatically though, even though prior to this they worked fine for years and years.

I have tried the following:

• Created a random VBA script (as suggested here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/1734e0f3-a562-44f4-a99c-78e9c25fc870/outlook-2007-rules-not-running-automatically?forum=outlook">http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/1734e0f3-a562-44f4-a99c-78e9c25fc870/outlook-2007-rules-not-running-automatically?forum=outlook , as well as tried some other scripts suggested on other sites - none of them worked
    • I've ran the /cleanrules script numerous times and recreated my rules from scratch (didn't want to just export/import them in case one of my rules was corrupted) - no luck
    • I had someone from IT delete and clean all my rules (as they stated the /cleanrules script can miss things) - no luck
    • I've exported and imported rules and manually deleted them out - no luck
    • I've went into Rules and Alerts > Options > Mail Setup > Email Accounts > Microsoft Exchange and the "Used Cached Exchange Mode" was not checked, so unchecking it would not resolve this....so I checked it, no change, unchecked it again, but still no change - none of these worked
    • Tried all three items suggested here:  http://www.msoutlook.info/question/133">http://www.msoutlook.info/question/133 , including renaming of the srs file - didn't work
    • I've created a brand new PST file, and ensured that I created it using the option for "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)" instead of the older version "Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folders File (.pst)", just in case the older version may have been causing some sort of compatibility issue, but that did nothing
    • I cleaned up my PST file majorly, moving 90% of the items into other PST files in order to reduce the size of the file in case that was causing issues - no luck
    • I moved some of my rules to server-side rules in order to have a better ratio of server to client rules (most were client previously), but the client rules are still not running automatically (again, these work fine manually however)
    • I've changed the order my rules run in, deleted all but one rule, removed the "stop processing more rules options", ensured they are all "on" - nothing works
    • Did some other things that I can't even think of...have tried and read almost every forum response I can find, but have had no luck

I am out of ideas on how to fix this and IT's suggestion is to do away with all client side rules and make them all server side.  This does not fix the problem though, and just means I can never use client rules, so severely limits my sorting abilities.  This also creates a space issue in my mailbox and forces me to do cleanup weekly (I get over 800 emails a week and cannot just let these sit in my mailbox or it will fill it up too quickly; I need to be able to sort my mail and move items into the PST file I have created).  I also do not understand why this worked fine for the past 6 years and is an issue now, all of a sudden.

Anyone have any ideas or additional suggestions?  This is my work pc, so please keep in my mind I am unable to install some third party applications that might help run diagnostics or perform backups so you can wipe it all and reinstall, so it has to be an option that I can do on my own (especially since IT's solution is just "stop building client rules").

PLEASE HELP!!! I cannot manage all these emails!!!!

Thanks,

Stacy

Monday, April 21, 2014 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, I understand that there is a mailbox which the Inbox Rule created in Outlook can’t be working automatically. Many methods have been tried in your posting. I recommend we can try the following changes:

1. Keep Outlook closed and make sure there is no rule related to this mailbox configured in Outlook client and server side.

2. Create a Inbox rule in OWA instead of Outlook to check whether the rule can work automatically or not.

3. If the Inbox rule still doesn’t work in OWA, please consider a workaround for this issue by rebuilding the problematic user mailbox by exporting the mailbox, then create a new mailbox and import the mailbox.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I understand that there is a mailbox which the Inbox Rule created in Outlook can’t be working automatically. Many methods have been tried in your posting. I recommend we can try the following changes:

1. Keep Outlook closed and make sure there is no rule related to this mailbox configured in Outlook client and server side.

2. Create a Inbox rule in OWA instead of Outlook to check whether the rule can work automatically or not.

3. If the Inbox rule still doesn’t work in OWA, please consider a workaround for this issue by rebuilding the problematic user mailbox by exporting the mailbox, then create a new mailbox and import the mailbox.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Hooe it were online mode and also your rule were client side or server side Check and let me know Thanks Muthu

Thanks Muthu

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:14 PM
  • My rules are both server side and client side, but it appears to be the client side that are having the issue of not kicking off automatically.  Again, if I run them manually, the work PERFECTLY.  The rules will somply not fire upon start up or receipt of new mail.

I'm not sure what you mean by online mode to verify that one, could you specify?

Below is an example of some of my rules and the settings for one of the ones that won't run automatically.

We truned on the "Enable rules on all RSS Feeds" just in case....but that didn't help either.

Thanks!

Monday, May 5, 2014 9:14 PM
  • I don't see where I have OWA installed on my pc and when trying to access it via the following link, my normal username and password doesn't work.  Is this the same as webmail?  I have access via the internet, but have always referred to it as webmail not OWA.

Here's where I try to log into, but it won't accept anything I type in nor do I see an option to set up a new account: https://controlpanel.msoutlookonline.net/asp/MManager/Login.asp?owa=1

Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I can't find a download for OWA and I dont' have any CD's to reinstall anything, as this is my work PC and all the software and programs come pre-imaged.

Monday, May 5, 2014 9:37 PM
  • Ok, just tried this in Webmail (as I deducted this was the same as OWA).  I exported all my rules (just in case this did not work) and ran the cleanrules script to delete all rules I had in outlook.

I then closed out of outlook completely.  I opened webmail and created a client-side rule that moved emails from myself to a specific folder, marked them as read, and with high importance.  The rule kicked off automatically and sorted my email into the appropriate folder.

So....what does that mean?  That the issue is not with the rule, etc..., but my copy of Outlook?   How do I fix it so that it works correctly in Outlook, as outlook has a broader range of possibilities for rules than Webmail, not to mention if I am restricted to Webmail rules, I can never have my rules sending my mail to my pst folders, which is how I originally had all this set up before it broke, so I'd like to be able to do that again eventually.

Thanks.

Monday, May 5, 2014 10:00 PM
  • I then closed out of outlook completely.  I opened webmail and created a client-side rule that moved emails from myself to a specific folder, marked them as read, and with high importance.  The rule kicked off automatically and sorted my email into the appropriate folder.

According to this deacription, it seems that the Inbox rule created in Outlook Web Access(a Webmail client for Exchange) can work automatically. If so, I think the issue should be related to Outlook client.

Since the issue occurs whenever you checked "Used Cached Exchange mode" or not, we can restart Outlook in safe mode to check whether the issue continues to confirm if it is caused by any third-party add-ins.

Please update your Outlook 2007 to the latest version and remove all Inbox rule to re-create them one by one to check whether the issue persists. If it doesn't work, please change a computer to have a try.

Thanks,

Winnie Liang

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Ok, I will give it a try in safe mode and see what happens.

Does it sound reasonable that my iphone being synced could be causing issues with the rules firing automatically in Outlook?  One of our IT folks here where I worked suggested that I turn off the ActiveSync on my phone for a few hours and see if that impacts my rules running automatically.  So...i'll try that as well, but I'm trying that one now so will try the safe mode suggestion afterwards, that way if this works i'll know which attempt made the difference.

Thanks and i'll let you know how it goes!

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:35 PM