none
Distribution list name is too long? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have created a distribution list (66 characters and spaces long) and later find in the console or AD that the displayname only shows 64 characters with the last 2 characters missing.

If I search in exchange shell with the full DL name I get a "couldn't be found" error but can find it if I delete the last 2 characters in the search command.

Also the name does not appear in the GAL either despite downloading a new address book.

I thought Exchange can accept 256 characters in the DL name so why is this happening?

Any suggestions would he really helpful.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:07 AM

Answers

• Hi guys,

I have created a distribution list (66 characters and spaces long) and later find in the console or AD that the displayname only shows 64 characters with the last 2 characters missing.

If I search in exchange shell with the full DL name I get a "couldn't be found" error but can find it if I delete the last 2 characters in the search command.

Also the name does not appear in the GAL either despite downloading a new address book.

I thought Exchange can accept 256 characters in the DL name so why is this happening?

Thanks.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218693%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The maximum length for a group name is 64 characters. This includes the combined number of characters in the prefix, the group name provided by the user, and the suffix.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hi guys,

Thanks.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj218693%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

The maximum length for a group name is 64 characters. This includes the combined number of characters in the prefix, the group name provided by the user, and the suffix.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:18 AM
  • Thank you Andy for replying so quickly. that really helps
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:32 AM
  • Hi

If the answer assisted you please mark it so that it can help others out there.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 4:39 AM
    Owner