Taskbar Hover Glow Doesn't Go Away RRS feed

• Question

• Sometimes my taskbar lookes the ability to know when my cursor leaves the taskbar.  For example, I point at a running app, and I see the color light up and the preview appear.  Then I move my mouse away and the color effect stays and the preview won't go away.  I click on something on my desktop and the preview disappears, but the color effect is still on the icon acting like I'm pointing at it.

And no, I'm not gonna kill the .explorer.exe process, and I don't want to restart my computer every 5 minutes for it to away, because it comes back again, every time and it is random. I don't have installed any themes or tweak programs, the Windows is completely vanilla. It doesn't matter what programs I install or have installed, I already formatted, then installed only the basics (Internet driver, browser, audio,etc) and it still happened, and again, it's NOT a graphics driver issue, I tested it.

This is not a driver related problem, this is a Windows Seven bug. Is there any way at all to fix this? Or remove that yellow glow completely? This is really annoying!

Here is a picture of it, in case you don't know exactly what I'm referring to:

Notice that even though the folder is selected, the glow freezes on any program/folder on the taskbar you hover your mouse. The windows thinks that the mouse cursor is still there, so it never goes away.

• Edited by JeisonRS Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:00 AM
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

But I have never encountered this kind of issue. Please update your display card driver to latest version. Since you have already tried to reinstall Windows 7. Based on my experience, this should be a display driver issue.

Also, you may change a theme or disable Areo effect and reenable it again for a test.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, February 3, 2012 3:25 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 6:13 AM
  • ‌‌‌‌‌‌

• Edited by ᅠᅠᅠ Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:25 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

But I have never encountered this kind of issue. Please update your display card driver to latest version. Since you have already tried to reinstall Windows 7. Based on my experience, this should be a display driver issue.

Also, you may change a theme or disable Areo effect and reenable it again for a test.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 16, 2012 6:13 AM
  • It's stunning how people answer to questions not reading the entire question first.

I said clearly that it WASN'T, I'm going to repeat it ok? Just read it: It ISN'T a graphics driver issue. It happened on my brother's computer as well, on a generic graphics card, plus I installed an old version of the graphics driver before posting this, and it still didn't work (I had the latest graphics driver, then I tried and older version, both of them didn't solve the matter).

Like I said, this is a WINDOWS bug, not a driver or aero problem. Windows just stops registering wether or not the mouse pointer is hovering the taskbar, so it glitches (basically he thinks the mouse pointer never left the taskbar, so of course, the glow glitches. Pointless effect is pointless).

If anyone gonna answer this question, please don't say basic things that anyone with a brain would have already tried.

Again, just so you don't forget: It's NOT a driver problem of ANY kind, nor is it Aero themes or any other third-party themes. Read the entire OP before posting.

Thanks.

• Edited by JeisonRS Monday, January 16, 2012 9:53 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 9:51 AM
  • ‌‌‌‌‌‌

• Edited by ᅠᅠᅠ Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:25 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:27 PM
  • Have you tried updating the drivers? Just kidding, I found an almost-answer on Yahoo Answers of all places. You simply drag the glowing one to a different spot on the taskbar and let go, then the glowing stops. I've noticed this is far from a proper fix (it starts again as soon as you switch programs) but it has provided me with some temporary anal-retentiveness-relief  :|
    Sunday, August 5, 2012 6:49 PM
  • I've seen this happen. It's totally a bug but I haven't been able to replicate reliably. The taskbar enters a broken state and remains broken until you kill explorer.exe. When in the broken state, if you move your mouse off of a taskbar button vertically, it will remain lit and show a tooltip. (You can make it go away by moving your mouse back into the taskbar and be careful that no button is hovered when your mouse leaves it.)

Vapor Lock's animation will cause the issue to happen once, but doesn't put the taskbar into the broken state described.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Sorry for responding to such a stale thread, but this is the only forum that mentioned this issue.Just started having this problem today. I even tried switching themes to see if that would make a difference. Nope. One thing I noticed, if I move the mouse through the active application's icon on the way out of the task bar, it behaves as it should. Very strange.
    Monday, December 15, 2014 4:38 PM
  • It's 2016! 2016!!!! And it's Windows 10!

And they still haven't fixed this issue. There is even a Superuser Question (below) that gives away a temporary solution (to shift-right click an item, and then click somewhere else), but there is no actual explanation. It's been around since, what, Windows 7? MICROSOFT.... Fix This...!

http://superuser.com/questions/61833/windows-7-taskbar-icon-highlight-sticks

• Proposed as answer by Jaymoon1 Monday, December 17, 2018 10:27 PM
    Monday, June 6, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Yep. Even in 2018!!1!!11!!!
    Monday, January 29, 2018 2:11 AM
  • aaaaand it's 2019, came looking for a solution to same issue. Wow, really MS?
    Friday, March 8, 2019 3:57 AM
  • I found that if I move the mouse left over a non-opened but taskbar-pinned icon, the popup tooltip whatever it's called will then disappear as it always should. If I move it right to the display notifications, the tooltip does not close.

-G

Sunday, March 24, 2019 4:25 PM
  • 2020 here. Bug is still not fixed. Running Version 10.0.18363.592.
    Thursday, February 13, 2020 1:14 PM
  • Build 19041. It is extremely frustrating that this issue STILL exists!!!
    Saturday, May 2, 2020 3:40 AM
  • Not sure about an official cause or fix, but the act of simply installing 7 Taskbar Tweaker seems to have solved it.

source-  chris mcfarland on superuser.com

• Edited by kesarsauce Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:37 AM
    • Proposed as answer by kesarsauce Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:37 AM
    Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:35 AM