none
Outlook 2016/2019 - Open recurring appointment on Public Folder Calendar; error RRS feed

• Question

• When a user tries to open a recurring appointment on a shared calendar by selecting "Open this occurrence" not "The entire series" they receive an error that says, "Sorry, we're having trouble opening this item.  This could be temporary, but if you see it again you might want to restart Outlook.  The file you're attaching is bigger than the server allows.  Try putting the file in a shared location and sending a link." If the user selects "Open the series" the appointment opens just fine.

I was going to have them just delete this recurring appointment and recreated it but, that would remove them ALL and they need to keep all previous recurring appointments due to the details they have added to each of them for reference and for possible future public records requests.

Also, the permissions on the calendar for the users that are attempting to edit this have Publishing Editor rights.  I have admin rights and I get the same error.

I do realize now that the best place to create shared calendars are in Resources and not the "Public Folder" but, I still need to resolve this for them.  Any suggestions?

Exchange 2013 / Outlook 2016 & 2019

PennyM

Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:01 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure we're on the same page because you keep asking me to delete the recurring appointment but, if I do whether in a the Public Folder or in a PST they won't be able to refer to the previous appointment notes that they made for that day. (I have attached their calendar for reference).

I did run ScanPST against the PST and the following is what was in the log.  However, once the scan was completed I attempted to copy and I tried to move them too into my mailbox and then a Public Folder and it just puts Outlook into a "Not Responding" stage and I have to go into Task Manager and end Outlook in order to work in Outlook.

My work around was to edit the recurring appointment and change the end date as of last week and created a new recurring appointment.  Thank you for your time :) 

ScanPST Log File...

Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool

© 2018 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    Version 16.0.10349.20017
    **Beginning NDB recovery
      **Attempting to open database
      **Attempting to validate header
      **Attempting to validate AMap
      **Attempting to validate BBT
      **Attempting to validate NBT
      **Attempting to validate BBT refcounts
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (66FA)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1102A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1235A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (12DE2)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1424A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1529A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (167EA)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (172CE)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (19DB6)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1AA9A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1C5E2)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1CE7E)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1ED8E)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (20A62)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (27126)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (2BF7A)
      **Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks
    **Beginning PST/OST recovery
      **Attempting to recover all top-level objects
        **Store created by build: 161.344
      **Attempting to walk all folders
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 233, RowID = 207F84
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 147, RowID = 2018E4
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 67, RowID = 200D84
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 31, RowID = 200404
      **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages
      **Performing final HMP validation
      **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
      **Updating folder hierarchy
    **Attempting to fix original file
      **Attempting to copy back BBT
      **Attempting to copy back NBT

Here is the calendar I'm working with...

Calendar - Can't edit just one recurring appointment at a time

PennyM

Monday, August 26, 2019 11:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on the error information, the limit for an Exchange mailbox stems from the Maximum send size setting that is configured in the Transport Settings by the Exchange server. Please try to modify the default attachment limits at the Organization and Connector. For more details, please see the link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/message-size-limits?view=exchserver-2019#scope-of-limits

Note: Because the Exchange server has a cache for various settings, this change does not take effect immediately. You may have to wait several hours before this change is recognized by Outlook.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, August 9, 2019 7:21 AM
  • Hi Kelvin,

I've checked the Maximum send size setting in the Transport Settings like you suggested and they haven't changed in years and they are as follows;

MaxReceiveSize - 50mb

MaxSendSize - 50mb

MaxRecipientEnvelopeLimit - 5000

Recap, this is only happening on one recurring appointment on one particular public folder calendar.

Thank you.
    Penny

PennyM

Monday, August 12, 2019 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

What's the result if the user open the recurrent appointment trough OWA?

Please first try starting Outlook in safe mode to see if this issue continues, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter. If the problem would be gone in safe mode, then, restart Outlook in normal mode and go to File > Options > Add-ins, and then disable suspicious add-ins to fix the issue.

We can also try to switch to another calendar view (Month, Week, Work Week or Day) and then try to open the recurring meeting to see if this issue continues.

Since it happens on one recurrent appointment, you could export the public folders to an Outlook .PST file, then delete& recreate the appointment.

1.In Microsoft Outlook, select File -> Import/Export -> Export to a file -> Personal Folder File.

2.Navigate to the top level of the public folders, and click "Include Subfolders." Click Next.

3.Select the .PST file, and click Next. Name the .PST file and set a password if required.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Friday, August 16, 2019 4:15 AM
  • Hi Kelvin,

I did what you suggested; I have started in safe mode and I changed views with no luck.  I've also  exported it to a PST and I was able to open the recurring appointment as I used to be able to in the Public Folder. 

However, like I said before I can't delete this recurring appointment because the user has entered in custom information for each previous recurring appointments that they need to refer to.  This recurring appointment goes back to 2015 so, I'm going to help them delete 2015-2018 and see if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Penny

PennyM

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

After exporting the calendar subfolder in the public folder, you could remove the recurring appointments safely. Right-click the pst file, review the file size. Then use SCANPST.EXE to repair the exported data file. Next, import it to the same folder in the user Outlook folder or public folder, chek the result.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Friday, August 23, 2019 7:36 AM
  • I'm not sure we're on the same page because you keep asking me to delete the recurring appointment but, if I do whether in a the Public Folder or in a PST they won't be able to refer to the previous appointment notes that they made for that day. (I have attached their calendar for reference).

I did run ScanPST against the PST and the following is what was in the log.  However, once the scan was completed I attempted to copy and I tried to move them too into my mailbox and then a Public Folder and it just puts Outlook into a "Not Responding" stage and I have to go into Task Manager and end Outlook in order to work in Outlook.

My work around was to edit the recurring appointment and change the end date as of last week and created a new recurring appointment.  Thank you for your time :) 

ScanPST Log File...

Microsoft (R) Inbox Repair Tool

© 2018 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
    Version 16.0.10349.20017
    **Beginning NDB recovery
      **Attempting to open database
      **Attempting to validate header
      **Attempting to validate AMap
      **Attempting to validate BBT
      **Attempting to validate NBT
      **Attempting to validate BBT refcounts
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (66FA)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1102A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1235A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (12DE2)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1424A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1529A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (167EA)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (172CE)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (19DB6)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1AA9A)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1C5E2)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1CE7E)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (1ED8E)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (20A62)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (27126)
        ??Couldn't find BBT entry in the RBT (2BF7A)
      **Attempting to validate header NID high-water marks
    **Beginning PST/OST recovery
      **Attempting to recover all top-level objects
        **Store created by build: 161.344
      **Attempting to walk all folders
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 233, RowID = 207F84
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 147, RowID = 2018E4
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 67, RowID = 200D84
            Failed to add row to the FLT, irow = 31, RowID = 200404
      **Attempting to locate any orphaned folders/messages
      **Performing final HMP validation
      **Attempting to check top-level objects for consistency
      **Updating folder hierarchy
    **Attempting to fix original file
      **Attempting to copy back BBT
      **Attempting to copy back NBT

Here is the calendar I'm working with...

Calendar - Can't edit just one recurring appointment at a time

PennyM

Monday, August 26, 2019 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that. If you don't mind, I proposed your useful replies, and you could mark it as answer, this will help more people with similar issues. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 1:37 AM
  • So, my attempt to work around the recurring appointment to change the end date has me stumped.  We would get the error "Your server administrator has limited the number of items you can open simultaneously.  Try closing messages you have opened or removing attachments and images from unsent messages you are composing." when we tried to change the end date. 

I found this article on How to increase the number of Open Items but, after I made the change on our Exchange 2013 server and she goes to edit the recurring appointment she gets the warning " If you changed specific appointments in the series, your changes will be cancelled and those appointments will match the series again."  Does this mean that previous recurring appointments will be whipped over the top so anything they may have added to them will be blank?

Thank you.

PennyM

• Edited by Penny Miller Monday, October 21, 2019 5:16 PM Didn't add the whole question.
    Monday, October 21, 2019 5:08 PM