Server Backup 2019 and BD-XL RRS feed

• Question

• Is Server Backup 2019 supposed to support BD-XL (100 Gb) DVDs? It certainly doesn't on my server. I've seen Hotfixes for Windows Backup (Windows 10) to work with BD-XL but noting for Server 2019. Is there such a fix or is there one planned?

Also, I tried to copy the files on from the WindowsImageBackup directory created by Server Backup to DVD but that gave me errors (saying the files had changed although it's a dedicated drive). Without spending over $1000 for new software, I'm not sure what to do.

Has anyone got any suggestions for a poor, small academic lab?

Thanks so much.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 11:11 PM

All replies

• Hi aturnbul,

I'm afraid to say Windows Server Backup limits the range of usable storage technologies. Users must back up to a fixed local disk meaning that automated backup to removable media Tape, DVD and RDX are not possible.

https://www.novabackup.com/blog/windows-server-backup-limitations

(Please note: Information posted in the given link is hosted by a third party. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy and effectiveness of information.)

Best Regards,

Anne

This "Backup - Windows and Windows Server" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

"Backup - Windows and Windows Server" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Backup - Windows and Windows Server"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 7:18 AM
  • Thank you for the response. It's odd that Server Backup does allow you to select a DVD drive as a destination. It just gives an error when it tries to format the UDF file-system. Thanks again.
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:15 PM
  • Hi aturnbul,

Thanks for your feedback.

After some research, I still think Windows Server backup may not support backup to BD-XL DVD.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2020 2:36 AM