Exchange 2013 Public Folder mailbox move to another database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Our Messaging system is on Exchange 2013 and we have three Public Folder mailboxes in a Database. As we all know, unlike earlier versions of Exchange, the Public folders are like typical mailboxes in Exchange 2013, not a separate Database. The DB volume, which is hosting the PF mailboxes is running out of disk space, hence I would like to move those PF mailboxes to another Database where I have adequate disk space. Will this create any impact to end users in terms of access, permissions, data loss and it? Do I need to do any precautionary actions prior to move?

Since I am new to Exchange 2013 and this is the first time we are moving Public folder mailboxes to another Database, so wanted to make sure flawless movement of Public folder mailboxes.

Saturday, October 31, 2015 11:00 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Here is a procedure explaining how to move public folder mailbox to another database: https://technet.microsoft.com/pl-pl/library/jj906434%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396. The information provided in that page:

Depending on the size of the public folder mailbox, the move may take several hours to complete. During that time, users won’t be able to access the public folders. Users also won’t have access to public folders for a brief period while the folder is in the “Completion in Progress” state.

My LinkedIn profile

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Saturday, October 31, 2015 2:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, November 2, 2015 6:56 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, November 2, 2015 6:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, November 4, 2015 9:05 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

I think there is a typo in the article. Mailboxes on Exchange 2013 are accessible during the moves, which should include public folder content as well. Only disruption is during the final completion which can be manually timed\controlled.

In the same article we have this sentence, indicating the same:

"users may be temporarily locked out the public folder mailbox. If needed, you can suspend the move request before it reaches that phase and resume it at a time when users won’t be impacted."

Even if not, we have something else that allows live movement,this article talks about moving the public folders instead of full mailboxes.

Move a public folder to a different public folder mailbox

Saying that movement, should be offload  hours only. Try to do it in smaller batches if possible. Splitting the bigger mailboxes into small ones.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Saturday, October 31, 2015 3:38 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Here is a procedure explaining how to move public folder mailbox to another database: https://technet.microsoft.com/pl-pl/library/jj906434%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396. The information provided in that page:

Depending on the size of the public folder mailbox, the move may take several hours to complete. During that time, users won’t be able to access the public folders. Users also won’t have access to public folders for a brief period while the folder is in the “Completion in Progress” state.

My LinkedIn profile

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Saturday, October 31, 2015 2:17 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, November 2, 2015 6:56 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

I think there is a typo in the article. Mailboxes on Exchange 2013 are accessible during the moves, which should include public folder content as well. Only disruption is during the final completion which can be manually timed\controlled.

In the same article we have this sentence, indicating the same:

"users may be temporarily locked out the public folder mailbox. If needed, you can suspend the move request before it reaches that phase and resume it at a time when users won’t be impacted."

Even if not, we have something else that allows live movement,this article talks about moving the public folders instead of full mailboxes.

Move a public folder to a different public folder mailbox

Saying that movement, should be offload  hours only. Try to do it in smaller batches if possible. Splitting the bigger mailboxes into small ones.

Regards,

Satyajit

Please“Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “MarkAs Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by Satyajit321 Saturday, October 31, 2015 3:38 PM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 3:35 PM